Saturday 10 December 2022

You Wouldn’t Believe It

Mid afternoon today I was looking for something in my emails when an ad for a local garage sale popped up.  The first picture was of a Singer knitting machine, which I’m guessing is from the early 1960s and you could see some vintage knitting books in a box.  Although it was late and would be well picked over, I decided to go and see what there was left.

The knitting machine was still there and I wasn’t at all interested in it, but just in front there was a little box….
What were the chances!  You just don’t see them at garage sales or op shops.  There was no price on it.  When I asked, I was told it was part of the knitting machine.  I advised that, no, it wasn’t and asked how much did she want for it.  I offered $5.  She then consulted Mr Google and said $10.  I said no, as Mick had just repaired the one I have.  I asked about the box of knitting patterns - $20.  No way was I paying that.  In the end she accepted my offer of $5 for the wool winder and I paid next to nothing for the vintage patterns, which are still sitting in the car.

Now, let’s have a look in the little box. I’m guessing it’s from the late 1960s, as the purchase price is in decimal currency.
Everything present and accounted for, complete with instructions and stored in their original plastic bags.  The cone is secured with a very fine circlip and there is even a spare one.
Here it is, all together.  Now I need to find a hank of wool that needs winding. 

I will still keep the one that Mick fixed, but this one is definitely better and more compact, being in its little box.

There was also a very nice 1950s Singer 201K sewing machine in perfect order with all its attachments, along with a very Singer collectable item, but at $250 it was not coming home with me.

8 comments:

ButterZ said...

What a great find

loulee said...

What a great find. I did see one in an op shop some time ago.

Raewyn said...

Well done on your purchase!! The start of a collection of wool winders...perhaps!

Fiona said...

haha, great find...
Hugz

Karen's Korner said...

It was meant to be.

Jenny said...

Didn't you do well!

kiwikid said...

It is amazing how things happen isn't it!! Great find.

jude's page said...

You can now get twice as much wool wound, one for you to use and you can get Mick on the other one!!