Saturday 31 December 2022

Looking Forward to 2023

Having reflected on the last twelve months, it is time to look forward to the next year.

2023 will be my first full year of not going out to work, which theoretically gives me so much more time to achieve so much more.  We will just have to see how that pans out.
Yvonne at Quilting Jetgirl is hosting her .#2023 Planning Party, so I thought I would join in. 

For the last few years I have set myself a few monthly goals and will continue to do so, as the accountability, even to myself, has been really helpful.  Also, participating in a few link parties has also provided the encouragement I sometimes need to get things done.

STITCHING GOALS

To that end, next year I will continue to join in with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. One of my 2022 projects can be worked on again next year and  hopefully completed.  I have yet to decide what other project or projects I will undertake.

The One Monthly Goal has also been great fun, so I will continue to join in.  Often my goal is rather small, but I try to make them achievable, rather than end up letting myself down.  Any progress is good progress, right?

For many years I have tried to join in with One Project a Month, but that little link party will not be continuing.  Even so, I will endeavour to complete something each month.  Once again, this may be something very small, but it is nice to have a win each month.
On a social side, I am looking forward to travelling to the Scrub Stitchin' retreat in April.  This year will be especially fun, with seven international attendees visiting the tiny town of Baradine from all over the world.  
This has come about as a result of the Chookshed Stitchers Zoom Parties hosted by Chookyblue.  We tend to have an online stitching day about once a month.  They are something that I really look forward to.

So, what am I going to work on?

After a couple of years working on UFOs, last year I seemed to be starting things, but not finishing them.  I need to make a concerted effort to whittle them down once again.  I have quite a few quilts just needing to be quilted and bound.  More on that shortly.
I like to have a long term quilt on the go and the Blue Quilt is my current project.  I completed quite a bit of the EPP in 2022, so feel that there is a fair chance I will have this completed in 2023.  That is my aim, anyway.

I have missed having a leader and ender project for a while.  I have loads and loads of fabric, so want to make something scrappy.  The Fat Quarter Shop has just released a free pattern that appeals.
As a result of piecing my Swoon blocks I have oodles of bonus half square triangles from Bonnie and Camille.  They will trim down to 2 1/2", which is just what is needed for this quilt.  I have more left over fabric from Swoon, as well as several charm squares in their ranges.  Hopefully, that will be enough for the quilt, otherwise, I'm sure I have plenty that will blend in.

I want to work on some donation items and need to make more of a concerted effort on that front.  I already have several small quilts cut out, ready to start work on.

I seem to tend to flit from one project to another, rather that complete something from start to finish before moving on to the next.  That also seems to include various crafts.  Hand stitching hasn't been a favourite, but once I sit down with it I do enjoy it.  It is also the best option for Zoom days.  To that end, I would like to have several things I can flit between - knitting, crochet, cross stitch, EPP and stitchery.  I can assure you that I have projects in all those crafts that I can work on.
I think I have committed to completing my very old UFO kitten cross stitch in 2023, as a friend is also contemplating working on an old UFO as well.

I have really enjoyed doing some knitting and crochet recently and have plenty of yarn in stash and a couple of items that were started years ago and need to be frogged and started again.  Wish me luck.

For the last couple of months I have been giving myself the goal of working on some form of craft for at least 15 minutes a day.  It is working well, making me pick up something, either on the machine or by hand.

I also have quite a few project kits, for a variety of crafts, waiting in the wings.  It would be good to actually use some of them.

Reading what I just wrote, it appears that using what I already have seems to be a theme for this coming year.

A big goal for 2023 is to use "Monique" my Grace 14+ quilting machine.  I have just started to teach myself how to use a pantograph and rulers.  Lots of practice will be needed.  Donation quilts will be ideal to get me started.  When I feel more confident I will pull out some of my more special quilts that are waiting in the quilting queue.  I'm looking forward to the day that I feel confident to complete my quilts from start to finish.

NON STITCHING GOALS

For the last few years, my monthly goals include reading at least one book a month, trying a new recipe each month and having a fun day out each month.  These goals will be ongoing.

Travel is something we enjoy and in 2023 we will be making a trip to New Zealand that has been postponed since 2020.  We will also be taking at least one holiday in our caravan in addition to attending Scrub Stitchin'.  Hopefully, there will be others as well.

Each year I have been writing down a goal of going for a motorcycle ride at least once a month.  It hasn't been happening.  Fingers crossed, this will be the year.  Mick's various bikes are sitting in the shed.  We just need to make the effort to use them.

The final goals aren't so much fun, but necessary.  I really need to do some organising and decluttering at home, as well as getting more active and eating healthier.  On that front, I do hope I can look back at the end of the year and feel a sense of accomplishment, rather than opportunity lost.

I think that should keep me out of mischief for the year.  It will be interesting, as always, to look back at this at the end of the year and see how I went.

9 comments:

ButterZ said...

Wow. Janice. Your year is planned and done. Look forward to all your stitching.

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

It’s been lovely having you play along for OPAM, Janice, & I look forward to seeing all of the wonderful finishes to come now that you’ll have a bit more time in your sewing cave. ;0) Bear Hugs! KRIS xx

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I hope that by considering what you want to work on and accomplish, that you will find these goals as helpful guideposts throughout the year. I really love the idea of trying one new recipe a month; I may need to add that to my own list! I wish you a lot of creative time and joy in 2023. Thanks for linking up. :)

loulee said...

Well thats your year all planned. Have fun achieving your goals.

Maria said...

What a great list you have planned for 2023 and I'll enjoy seeing your progress and some finishes.

Fiona said...

Great plans for the year.... looking forward to seeing it all come together...
Hugz

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wonderful goals, and it is good to have some for your non-quilting life too. I also enjoy reading and cooking, and I stamp as well. It is also my usual to have several projects in progress, and flit from one to another as my mood dictates. Happy New Year! See you at the Chookshed!

jude's page said...

Lots of great goals there Janice, look forward to reading about your year and travelling with you.

dq said...

Make it blue will be gorgeous!