Sunday 20 June 2010

Darling Harbour Quilt Show and Early Bird Finish

I had the best day yesterday at the Darling Harbour Quilt Show.  

The weather was glorious.  Imagine looking out over Darling Harbour from up there.

Darling Harbour June 2010 001

My friend Cath hadn’t been before and she had a ball.  There were so many stands to look at.  This only shows a portion of them. There were 10 Aisles plus the actual Quilt display.

Darling Harbour June 2010 021

The quilts on trader stands were stunning in their own rights.  This is Logan Patchwork.

Darling Harbour June 2010 004

And of course The Quilters Barn has the most beautiful fabrics.

Darling Harbour June 2010 007

When we went to have a look at the quilts we finally met up with Cardygirl.  It is great fun meeting blogging friends for real. We even remembered to take a photo for a change.

Darling Harbour June 2010 008

Now to the quilts.  They were simply stunning.  I don’t know which was my favourite. The workmanship seems to get more intricate all the time. It was actually a bit overwhelming.  Anyway, here is a selection. I haven’t taken note of the makers of any of them I’m afraid.

This one had a very simple centre, but I loved the overall effect.

Darling Harbour June 2010 009

Just gorgeous.

Darling Harbour June 2010 011 

Not something I’d ever make, but you just have to appreciate the amount of work that has gone into this one.

Darling Harbour June 2010 010

The photo doesn’t do this quilt justice.  It is actually really rich with blacks and golds.  All 60 degree kaleidoscopes.  It was made by a man and when it was all pieced, he noticed that one triangle was put in around the wrong way…and it was in the middle, so he had to fix it.

Darling Harbour June 2010 012

 

I just love this one.  The colours work so well, but are not at all what you would expect to put together.

Darling Harbour June 2010 014

This was stunning. It was quite three dimensional with yo-yos for the wattle and the banksia was all padded.  The colours are more vibrant in real life.  It was a deserved winner.

Darling Harbour June 2010 016

Another bright and cheerful quilt.  Beautiful.

Darling Harbour June 2010 018

And of course, I had to find one that Mick would like. I love the rich, traditional feel of this one.

Darling Harbour June 2010 020

And that’s about it.  There were so many other stunning quilts. I really enjoy seeing quilts up close that I have seen in the magazines.  There were quite a few this time.  I’m sure the magazines will also have a good article showing many more of the entries and winners.

I suppose I’d better share my purchases with you.  I was quite restrained.

I carry a leather backpack as a handbag and mine is getting somewhat ratty, although it is still structurally OK, and I’m having trouble finding a new one that I like. However, this pattern is nearly the same design as my leather one, so I bought the kit to make it in black with Japanese fabric as the feature and a red lining.  I’m itching to make it up. Funnily enough, one of my friends also bought the same pattern.  What are the chances of that in all the hundreds of stands there.

Darling Harbour June 2010 028 

And this is the rest. The fabric is from the Quilters Barn.  The cherubs will make a lovely centre of a quilt with the border fabric.  It might even go with the Roenneries fabric I have.

Darling Harbour June 2010 029 

I found quarter inch iron on bias in several colours at a reasonable price at a cute Japanese stand, so I bought black and olive green.  I think the olive will be nice an easy to make appliqué stems, rather than all the fiddling normally required.  And lastly, a couple of reels of Perl 8 in pretty variegated colours.

I was actually surprised that I bought so little.  I mustn’t have been trying.

Oh, and I had to duck outside and have a look at where all the Soccer Football partying happens to show Mick.

Darling Harbour June 2010 002

Today has been a nice quiet day at home and I now have another mini Christmas gift completed. As soon as I saw this pattern in the latest Homespun (No 85. Vol 11.6) I knew I’d have to make it.   It is by Nicole Mallalieu and is just too cute for words. Yes, more quilt scraps.

Darling Harbour June 2010 027

It is a little lavender bag.  I’ll be making more of these.  Mick just shook his head (again).

9 comments:

Cardygirl said...

Great pics...loved meeting you...I want to make one of those lavender bags too...yours is so cute!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing all those photos for those of us that didn't go :(
Love what you bought and definitely love the back pack you are going to make and the cute little bag....

CurlyPops said...

Great quilt photos! It's not often that you get to see photos from quilt shows. I've heard that lots of people don't allow visitors to take photos.

Cubby House Crafts said...

Love your little lavender bag...very cute! It caught my eye in Homespun too!
Great pics!
Lisa ʚϊɞ

Chookyblue...... said...

thanks for sharing some pics.........great you got to meet Cardygirl........

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Looks like you had fun, lots of nice photos....great purchases and you little lavender bag is very cute..

Sandi said...

The quilt show looked wonderful,lots of inspiring quilts there to admire. Will look forward to seeing your new backpack bag.

Judith Tetley said...

Hi Janice, just called in to see how you were going with your 'Early Bird Christmas Crafting'?
Don't forget to let me know what your total of Mini Gifts is by midnight 29th June.
Kind Regards
Judith
http://creativestudio10.blogspot.com

Bec said...

It looks like you had a fantastic time! Oh, those quilts, so beautiful....thanks so much for sharing them! Nah, don't worry about not buying much - you obviously bought what you wanted and needed; and what you bought looks lovely!
Looking foward to seeing the bag made up!