Wednesday 21 December 2022

It’s Starting to Look and Taste a Lot Like Christmas

We undertook the task of putting up all the Christmas decorations, both inside and out, at the start of the month, so it is about time I shared how things look.

Firstly, outside.
Our street is one of the most lit up in town, and as we are the first house you see, we have to do our little bit, although it is nothing compared to others further along.

Now, please come inside.

The entry.
The lounge room.
Our main tree with oodles of lights and decorations with special memories.  I’ve had the little Santa on the lounge since I was a little kid.
Our three wise men and shepherd.
Big Ted looks after the little Christmas teddies and this year is donning Mick’s Santa hat to keep in the spirit of things.
The new addition this year is the lovely old vintage Christmas picture story book, found at an op shop.
It has a lovely story and is in beautiful condition.  Surprisingly, it was printed in Melbourne, but there is no date on it.

 The sitting and dining room.
Our tree with the special and hand made decorations.  So many happy memories here.
There is a new addition this year, gifted from Maria.  It is so sweet.
The mantle piece.  We kept having to remove the swag and wreath to light the heater, as the weather was cold.  Hopefully, that won’t be needed again.
The kitchen.
Mick suffers the Christmas mugs for the month….just…as they are a bit high for the coffee machine, but I love them.
Finally, my tiny wee vintage Christmas fawn that I recently found.  It’s so sweet.
Mick and I had a play in the kitchen a few days ago, trying a new recipe for mince pies with a frangipani topping.  We did cheat and use frozen pastry.  They turned out rather well and will be made again.  Some left over pastry was used to make a few little turnovers.

It’s hard to believe it is only a few days until the fellow in the red suit comes down the chimney.  A day we look forward to with family.

10 comments:

Maria said...

Your home is beautifully decorated both outside and in.
So many special items came out each year.
Both the old story book and fawn are gorgeous…
The wee gingerbread man looks good on the tree.
I had fun making them.
Wishing you both a very Happy Christmas 🤶 🎅

ButterZ said...

Wow. Janice, you have so many beautiful decorations through your house. It is a joy to see them. Maria has done such a special gift. Your lights are lovely too.

loulee said...

It looks great. Cute gingerbread man from Maria.
Nollick Ghennal.

Fiona said...

Your home looks wonderful and festive. I did giggle at the "Mick puts up with the Christmas mugs"... it's just the same here! haha
Happy Christmas to you both...

Hugz

Jenny said...

So kind of you to invite us into your home, Janice. Everything looks so nice and Christmassy.

cityquilter grace said...

a lovely home janice and so very festive...thanks for the tour...a merry christmas to you!

Karen's Korner said...

Thank you for inviting us into your very festive home. Enjoy the day with your family and I look forward to blogging with you in the New Year.

Jan said...

Oh it looks lovely! and the quilt on the back of the lounge is beautiful.

Janet O. said...

I had such fun walking through your home with you. I love to see Christmas decorations on display. And I went back to your post from a couple of years ago to see the little plastic Nativity sets. I had forgotten all about those, but seeing yours I recall we had one when I was young. Cool idea to collect those.
I just took a walk down our snowy road, and as I look at your neighborhood with green lawns and trees I get a little jealous. :)

jude's page said...

Lovely to see all you decorations Janice, no doubt that is it Christmas at your house.