Monday 31 December 2018

December Stitching, Gifts and One Monthly Goal

Now that the month is nearly over it is time to share what has been happening on the stitching front during December.

Firstly, this year Chookyblue's Secret Santa Christmas Swap went into respite as life got in the way.  However, it was suggested by one of the previous participants that we could send a decoration to Chooky to brighten her Christmas.  You can see them all here.


This is the little decoration I made.  It did have a red ribbon hanger, but I took the photo before I added it.  


Mum has been crocheting lots of kitchen towels for the church fete since she has moved into full time aged care, so she made this rather appropriate one for Chooky and I then found the little chook on our recent travels.

My friend Lou (Manxgirl) and I swap Christmas gifts each year.


I was delighted when there was a package of bunting in soft floral fabrics.  I was rather taken with the set that Lou made for her sewing room, so was very surprised and happy to find some had winged its way over here.  Happily, it matches my sewing machine cover and will fit above my sewing room windows nicely.


The rest of the gift consisted of a very practical sized project bag in kiwiana fabrics and some yummy nibblies and pins.  All very handy to have.  


This is what I sent to Lou.  A sewing machine mat with a decoration the same as Chooky's and a few extra bits and bobs.


Although it is designed as a sewing machine mat, Lou has found that it is the perfect size to use as an armchair caddy on her favourite chair.


My One Monthly Goal for December was to complete four Splendid Sampler 2 blocks.  Well, today it is New Year's Eve and I have just added the final stitches.  Once again, goal met by the skin of my teeth.


Nancy's Spool.


Antique Memories


For Madge


Cheers.  This is a bonus block for the New Year, so rather appropriate.


I'm linking up with Elm Street Quilts.  I'm really happy that I joined this challenge, as I have met my goal for each month except one.  I'm pretty pleased with that.  I think the secret has been to make realistic goals.  The goal does not have to be to complete a project, but can just be to complete a certain stage.  I'm looking forward to participating again next year.

I'm also adding my few little finishes to One Project a Month hosted by Peg and Kris.  I didn't succeed as well with that this year, but there are still quite a few finishes in the side bar.  I'm particularly pleased to see some UFOs on that list. 

Now I'll have to start thinking about what I want to achieve in 2019.  The world is full of opportunities.

9 comments:

Maria said...

It was fabulous to send a parcel to Chooky and you ornament and gifts are gorgeous.
Lou was also spoilt and her gifts for you are lovely too.
Well done with your SS blocks and all your finishes for 2018.
Wishing you all the best for 2019

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

I just love this post Janice.....full of happiness and lovely sewing! Love that Sewing Mat....is there a pattern for that, its just lovely!

Fiona said...

Lovely gifts both sent and received ….. Happy New Year...

Hugz

Patty said...

Great blocks! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Lots of lovely happy seeing....it was fun surprising Chooky xx

loulee said...

Happy New Year to you.
I've enjoyed seeing your monthly blocks and look forward to seeing them all together.
As I said on the phone, I love my gift.
It was fun to send gifts to Chooky. She deserves it.

Alla Blanca said...

Thanks for linking up so I could visit your Splendid Sampler 2 progress. 1930s fabrics absolutely make me swoon. Great blocks!

Pink Rose said...

Hi Janice lovely blocks my friend and lovely gifts you sent to chooky,great swap with Loulee,well done Janice xx

Jenny said...

Love the sewing machine mat J and the little decos for Chooky. Good luck with your plans for 2019. I think its a good idea to set some goals like join a group it does make me get things done I know that. Happy Sewing in 2019