Sunday 30 May 2021

May Stitching Roundup

Here we are at the end of another month and it is time to see how I went with my stitching goals for May.

As usual, we are scraping in by the skin of our teeth.

1.    ONE MONTHLY GOAL
My goal was to complete my pineapple block cushion that was started for Rainbow Scrap Challenge in 2020.
Firstly, I had to make the final block.
Next, work out the arrangement.
Then, construct the cushion.  It ended up a bit of an odd size, so I had some fun finding a suitable inner.  This was the best size I could come up with.
I used the concealed zipper method.  It is a really effective and neat way to finish a cushion. It will look a bit better once the inner relaxes after being taken out of its packaging.

I'm very happy to have this finished at long last.  The idea is that it will go with my Splendid Sampler 2 quilt, which was made from the same fabrics...........I just have to make up my mind as to how to get it quilted.......Soon, very soon.

Thanks as always to Patty of Elm Street Quilts for giving us the encouragement to keep things moving. Pop over and see what the other ladies have been up to.

2.    WOOFA CHALLENGE
My cushion ticks this box as well.

I love this challenge that Cheryll has started.  Once again, pop over and see what other UFOs have been worked on in May.

3.    CHRISTMAS CHALLENGE
As I always say, hand stitching is my downfall.  It should be a very easy task to make at least one of these little stitcheries each week, but I'm struggling to get one done each month.  
Thanks to a Zoom get together with Chookyblue and a few of the ladies this morning, I got out my stitchery and made good progress. After a break to rest my eyes, I went back and finished off this little block.  At least I have one more done.  By the way, clean glasses make stitching so much easier - just saying.

4.    ONE PROJECT A MONTH
Woo Hoo!  My cushion ticks a third box. Kris from Tag Along Teddies is another of the team of ladies that keep me motivated each month.

5.    JOCELYN PROUST BLUE QUILT
The wish was to complete at least another five blocks.
Job done!. (The five blocks are identical.) I have nearly all the flying geese stitched for the next five blocks as well.  I have been using this as a leader and ender while stitching another project.  

There you go.  All goals met.  It definitely helps when you set the bar rather low.
Now, not only but also, I have started another project on a whim..........

Edyta Sitar from Laundry Basket Quilts announced that she was going to host a mystery quilt stitch along.  It would run for 15 days, making four inch blocks and there would be 225 of them.  She would show it in blues and white or a coloured version.  As most of my blues have been put aside for a special quilt (which I must make one day, so that my blues can return to stash), I opted to go down the coloured line, using civil war reproduction-ish fabrics, all from stash.

I'm not going to show any detailed photos at this stage, just in case you wish to go and look into making the quilt.  All the steps are now on her blog.
 I kept up for four days..........then we were away for a night and had other things on......and I lost that initial enthusiasm........but I am making good progress.  I have completed the first eight days' steps, so only four more days of blocks and then putting the top together.

You should see my sewing room. It is an absolute mess. It will be good to have chosen and cut all the fabrics and then I will be able to put some fabric away.

I mentioned earlier a zoom get together this morning.  It was an early virtual Chook Shed Party.  As we have done every year, Mick and I made a cake to celebrate.
Rhubarb Crumble Cake this year.  So yummy.  How sad that Mick and I will have to eat it all.

Happy Birthday Chook Shed.

13 comments:

Marly said...

You have been busy. I love your pineapple cushion cover. At first I thought it was a one block cushion (large pineapple), but now I'm stunned: those pieces must be so tiny! What an achievement!

loulee said...

You achieved loads, as always.
Your finished cushion looks great.

Cheryll said...

Well done on completing all the goals set this month Janice.
Good luck with the NeW project too...xox

kiwikid said...

Well done on meeting your targets for the month. The cushion is stunning, and well done with the Xmas stitchery. I was late to the party and missed the cake! Your new project looks interesting,

Maria said...

Great job finishing the Pineapple RSC cushion, it’s really pretty.
Nice to have completed another Christmas stitchery and good progress on the blocks.
New project looks interesting too.

Karen's Korner said...

Your pineapple cushion certainly has "WOW" factor. Great progress it your other projects. What a shame you have to eat that cake all by yourselves....enjoy!

Vireya said...

Your pineapple cushion is gorgeous!

Just as well I didn't know about the Edyta Sitar quilt-along. I really don't need another project.

ButterZ said...

Oh Janice I do hope you enjoyed your cake.
Let’s hope you can make it to Mildura in August. Will be good to catch up..

Fiona said...

I love your pinapple block cushion... beautiful and lovely other blocks... you have done well.... I don't think I wouild keep up with daily blocks for a quilt either but what you have done is looking great... it's tough when there is just 2 of you to eat all the dessert!!! We get the same problem
Hugz

Patty said...

Great pillow! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

chrisknits said...

What lovely projects! I love Pineapple blocks!!

Chookyblue...... said...

was great to have you join in zoom.......thanks for the birthday cake....that looks so delicious......clean glasses make such a difference.......

jude's page said...

Cake looks good, enjoy, sorry to miss the zoom