During September I have been fortunate enough to join in on a few Zoom stitching get togethers. The first was right at the start of the month which I posted about back here
The second time was a get together of the girls who were supposed to be attending the Bathurst Blog Meet on the second weekend of the month. Sadly, that didn't proceed for the second year in a row. There was on line stitching during Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I joined in on Friday and tried to join in on Saturday, but wasn't able to connect. It was nice to catch up with a different lot of girls on line.
I did get the final block of my redwork completed. I wasn't able to get any of the same thread, so used a blend of two DMC threads. As it is the label I don't think that it matters that it is slightly different.
The next Zoom get together was last Saturday, organised by Chookyblue. There was a good roll up and I was quite productive.
Firstly, as my quilt had been returned from my quilting fairy, it was a good opportunity to hand stitch down the binding.
Ta da! One complete quilt.
It just fits on a single bed nicely.
The quilting design is Briar Rose in Winter and I think it suits it perfectly.
And the back, created from the left over fabric. Thank goodness for the extra metre of the floral from Vinnies. There was just enough. Now I don't have to add any to stash and it didn't matter that I couldn't get to the shops.
I now just have to add a label before gifting it to Mum for her birthday. A nice summery quilt for her bed. The best bit is that today it was announced that from 11 October, if you have had both of your vaccinations, you will be able to visit nursing homes. Happy dance, as Mum's birthday is the following week.
This ticked two boxes - a finish for One Project a Month, as well a a finish for the WOOFA Challenge.
Now, back to Zooming.........
Once I had finished stitching down the binding it was time to start another project. Hand stitching is the ideal thing to work on, so I bit the bullet and started the Scrub Stitchin' project from this year.
Some of the girls nearly fell off their chairs when I brought out some EPP.
It is a lovely cushion designed by Sandy from Shiralee Stitches. I had prepared and basted the EPP pieces while up there, as we had access to the templates for cutting, but that is as far I had progressed.
It didn't take all that long to have the ring stitched together. I can't say I enjoyed the curved piecing, and it isn't the flashest on the back, but then no one is going to see it, and it looks just fine from the front.
I'll applique it down during the next Zoom get together. I'm not sure if I will include the broderie perse centre or not. I'll make that decision when I get to that stage.
Once the cushion has been completed I will have to find another project. I have one in mind that will take quite some time, so I do hope Chooky keeps these sewing days happening so I can get it done.
A couple of weeks ago, there was a beautiful day and I felt like sitting outside and doing some stitching, but what, as I had just completed the redwork blocks?
I decided that it was time to pull out a little cross stitch project......maybe a bookmark kit, as I have a few of those.
Like everyone else, I used to do a lot of cross stitch in the late 80s and early 90s. Mainly small projects that I either gifted or sold in a local craft shop. Sadly, I don't really have any projects here to show for it. There are several kits from that time in my tub that I would like to do, and I do have one half done, which it would be nice to finish. No hurry, it's waited 30 years, what's a little more time.
The last cross stitch I did was back in 2007, when I bought a book mark kit in Scotland, with a Celtic design, and stitched it while were were on the Isle of Man.
The first kit that I saw in the box of many kits was this little daffodil card. Rather appropriate for the season, so that is what I decided to work on. I've no idea where it has come from. I'm guessing I found it on the white elephant stall or an op shop.
I had forgotten how time consuming it is to do a small area. This is only just over two inches square and took several hours. Mind you, there are five different greens and five different yellows, so not just nice simple blocks of colour.
I'm pleased to have the stitching completed and not end up as another cross stitch UFO. However, I don't know what I will do with it. I don't necessarily want it to be a card. It may be framed to add to my little spring display, or maybe form part of a spring mini quilt. Who knows. I'd better do something with it or it will end up being a UFO.
After dipping my toe in the water, so to speak, I'll have to decide which cross stitch project I will work on next. Not something to do while zooming though, as I would need to concentrate.