After several days of not going into the sewing room and quite a lot of dithering, I finally decided what to work on and made a start on Friday. I had to, as it was Friday Night With Friends.
I needed to get started on a Christmas project and I also wanted to give Mum's machine a run, so needed something fairly straight forward.
Finally, I decided to work on this kit by Anni Downs that I bought a while ago.
This is Mum's machine.
It is an Elna Air Electronic SU, made in 1981. She bought it new in 1982 for $899.00. They weren't cheap. I didn't realise that they gave me my little Elna Stella the year before Mum upgraded from her old Elna to this one. It hasn't been used for about four years, so after my machine running rather sluggishly when I got it out recently, I thought this one better get used too, so gave her a good clean, an oil and fired her up. It did need it, as initially it was rather noisy and sluggish. After a while it quietened down and was much more responsive.
As I had my own machine, I haven't used this one very much in the past. I even had to get the manual out to work out how to thread it. Before I bought my Janome I would go over to Mum's to do any blanket stitch applique, as my Stella does not have that stitch. This machine has discs with different stitches. The funny thing is that the blanket stitch is back to front to what we are used to. You have to have the piece you are appliquing on to the right of the needle.
I use a thread stand on these machines, mainly so the plastic spools don't rub on the top of the machine. I only read last week about the hole in the spool holder on the machine to feed thread through if you are using a spool stand, so the thread would feed into the tension unit on the top of the machine at the correct angle. Yes, there it was, and it worked a treat.
You may also notice the engraved drivers licence number on the top of the machine. Dad was very good at engraving everything to prevent theft. The only downside, was that he engraved in a prominent position on everything. Oh well, it is what it is.
So, onto the project.
The wall hanger consisted of simple nine patches alternated with blocks from a feature panel of fabric. There were nearly enough blocks on the panel to make two hangers, except that a couple were cut too close to the print to be used. There was also plenty of fabric to make more nine patches. Therefore, I decided I would make a quilt as big as I could, with what I had.
Finally, I arrived at this layout. I figured, by going wider, it could be displayed on the back of a couch, or be used as a bed runner.
This is where I got up to on Friday. Not too bad for just an afternoon and early evening stitching.
As Scrub Stitchin' didn't happen last weekend, Chooky, being the sneak that she is, arranged that our project be sent to us, with strict instructions not to open until she tells us. We had previously had to make a choice of pink or blue. I chose pink.
She decided that Easter Saturday would be ideal, as we couldn't be doing anything else.
After a quick crash course in Zoom, we all linked up for the big reveal of our project.
I think we were all rather pleased with our project. It is a design by Anni Downs made especially for Scrub Stitchin'. A nice surprise was Anni joining in our Zoom link up for a while as well.
We logged in at ten o'clock in the morning and I logged out at five o'clock in the evening, having completed the stitchery panel. Some stayed even longer. Who'd have thought we could sit a chat and stitch for so long. OK, we all know that is quite possible. We did duck in and out, but a lot of us were there most of the day. There were a few glitches with some internet connections not being strong enough, but on the whole it worked really well. Technology that has been available to us, but few of us have felt the need to learn to use it. Another side effect of COVID-19. However, now that we know how to use the technology, there is a fair chance it will be used for often for catch ups like this. Another upside was that I think I achieved more of my retreat project than normal. Usually, I have other things I am working on, so don't do much, if any, of the issued project.
I was determined to finish my Scrub Stitchin' project.
As the morning was lovely, I sat outside on the verandah and did the little "Scrub Stithing" label before preparing the pouch panels and appliquing on the stitcheries.
As Mum's machine was still set up, I used it to make the rest of the bag.
Ta da! It is quite large, being 12 inches by 8 inches. Perfect for holding a project while working on it.
I'm so happy to have it finished. It was a pleasure to make. Thanks Chooky and thanks Anni. This will also be a finish for One Project a Month.
While I still had Mum's machine set up I put the borders on the Christmas quilt. There was just enough in the kit. There isn't quite enough of the binding fabric, but by adding a couple of left over strips of the nine patch fabrics, I will be able to make a scrappy binding, which will still work well. Now I just have to hunt out some batting and find a fabric for backing, both of which I will have here, then do some simple quilting. Fingers crossed it will be finished by the end of the month, but if not, I am still happy to have a flimsy done.
Today I thought I had better make a start on my Happy Thoughts mini quilt, as I had made it my One Monthly Goal to finish it.
I made a little progress, but not a lot, as I kept getting distracted. At least three of my corner blocks are now finished and the centre panel just needs the stitching through the grass area. Then it is just the bottom panel........just...... I'll keep plugging away.
So, not too bad for the week. I know I could have done more, given all this time at home, but I don't want to make sewing become a chore. If I don't feel like sewing, I won't. Having said that, I do always feel happy when I have made progress.
Now to see what I get done next week.