Saturday 31 July 2010

Little Bird Challenge

Just call me “The Late Jannimary”.  I always seem to meeting deadlines by the skin of my teeth.

Jenny put out a challenge to embroider her Little Bird design and make something with it during the month of July.

I decided to make a little  cushion to sit on a bed and only use what I already had.

It is a sweet little design and reminds me of the lovely old traced embroideries that our mother’s worked in their youth.  Therefore, I thought it would be nice on crisp linen. I don’t have any, but, I do have an op shop shirt made out of Ramie with the same look and feel, bought for something like this, so I finally took the scissors to it.

July 2010 008

I wanted the cushion to be pretty, English cottage garden pretty, so raided my stash.  Some of these are vintage, a couple even being only 36 inches wide.  Some are dressmaking scraps.  There is the scraps from a skirt Mum made me when I was about ten and some spots from a frilly mini skirt I made as a teenager. Some are also from my patchwork stash.

July 2010 008 

The back had to be in keeping, and this fabric from the 80s fit the bill.  I had another really old fabric in mind, but it was lawn, so not strong enough.  The vintage buttons are from my freshly sorted jars.

July 2010 007

So, I suppose I’d better show you the finished product.

Ta Da!

July 2010 003

I’m really happy with it. It looks so lovely and fresh (although somewhat washed out in these photos).

Thanks Jenny for sharing the pattern and giving me the incentive to make something so lovely. It also is another finish for Early Bird Christmas and One Project a Month.

8 comments:

loulee said...

Great job Janice, what a pretty cushion.

BubzRugz said...

Another beautiful creation.... I just love the story with it and how you came to making it..... very special... Hugz
Fiona

Maria said...

What a wonderful way to use your precious fabrics and Jenny's lovely stitchery too.

Judith Tetley said...

Its' gorgeous Janice....I love, love, love working with vintage fabrics and things...mmmm...might be a good challenge to have at another time..lol!
Hugs..Judith
http://creativestudio10.blogspot.com

Chookyblue...... said...

the shirt looks great as a pillow..........lol......

Anonymous said...

LOVE! <3<3<3
It's absolutely gorgeous and I love that you used some old fabrics and recycled for this project. I am so inspired by this project. Beautiful!

Bec said...

A beautiful cushion J. Such pretty fabrics... and a beautiful design from Jenny.

2paw said...

Such a pretty cushion and I love that you have used special fabrics!!