Monday 28 September 2020

Stitching Goal Results for September

As usual, I set myself some hopefully manageable stitching goals for the month.  You can have a look back here for the full post.

I'm happy to report that, despite being away for part of the month, they all were achieved.  Let's have a look at what I was able to get done.

1.    ONE MONTHLY GOAL

My goal this month was to turn my Trail Mix blocks into a flimsy, which I did early in the month, as I was on a roll and couldn't wait to see how it would look.  I did a blog post here.


Not only is it a flimsy, but it has been to my friendly long arm quilting fairy and been returned to me.  No photo as yet, but it is looking all nice and snuggly.  The binding is made and ready to attach.  I just have to trim the excess fabric from the edges and add the binding and it will be done.  I can't wait to finish it off.

I'll be linking up over at Elm Street Quilts.

2.    RAINBOW SCRAP CHALLENGE

The colour was red and I made my blocks early in the month before we went away.  I blogged half of it back here, but forgot to add the drunkard path blocks.  So, to recap, here are my RSC blocks for September.




We only have one more month's colour to go this year, which by deduction is yellow, and then it is time to put them together.  Mine will become cushions.  I'm not sad to see the end of making my drunkard path blocks,  but have loved making the pineapple blocks.  I'll be linking up over at So Scrappy on Saturday.

3.    BLOCK HEADS 3

There were four blocks released this month and I only made them this last weekend.  However, they are made and that is the main thing.


This one is 12 inches, as there were so many HSTs.  If it was much smaller it would have been very bulky. I take my hat off to the ladies who made 6 inch, or even 4 inch version.


This one is eight inches.  It  was quick and easy and a great way to showcase a feature fabric, unlike most of the blocks.


This one is six inches.  It looks nice and easy, but I struggled to get my points doing the right thing.  It will just have to do.


I made the 12 inch version of this block as well.  I really do struggle with flipping corners.  I can get HST and flying geese nice and accurate using my rulers, but do have trouble with the square in a square block.  It isn't nearly as good as I would have wished, but it will do, and realistically, once it is in the quilt, among all the other blocks, I can't imagine anyone noticing too much........and bad luck if they do.

We now have 37 of the 56 blocks completed, so still quite a few to make.  I'm worried I will run out of some of my favourite fabrics, so may end up having to add a couple more to make up....Fancy that, an excuse to go fabric shopping.

4.    WOOFA CHALLENGE

This is where my WOOFA Challenge Clam Shell Stiching Roll started at the beginning of the month.



So, not a lot done, but there has been progress.  I thought I would get quite a bit of stitching in while we were away, but no, I didn't feel like it, so read a couple of books instead.  I also worry that my rows will end up wonky, so am happier to do it at home where I have access to rulers.  I don't think this will be a quick finish, but I will get there in the end.  Mind you, without Cheryll's encouragement, it would probably have stayed lingering in a box.

5.    CHRISTMAS PROJECT

Finally, for my little challenge on the side with Loulee I made another string of bunting.


When I went to get the makings out of their box I was very happy when I saw that I had already made up the pennants for this string last month.  I'd forgotten about that.  It does sound a bit like cheating, but I just call it smart.  I didn't have a lot of time this month, so it meant I did end up with a decent finish. They are surprisingly quick and easy to make. Now I have a string to hang above our sliding door to the back verandah as well.


Here they are together, just to show that I didn't just turn last month's upside down. LOL  

6.    ONE PROJECT A MONTH

Thank goodness for the bunting!  That is my one and only finish for the month, but better than nothing.  I like to have something each month to report in to Kris.

7.    FRIDAY NIGHT WITH FRIENDS

I didn't know what I was going to work on, but in the end my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks were started, so once again, Cheryll's encouragement had me stitching, which is always a bonus.

I love looking back and seeing that I have actually done something during each month.  Now to turn my thoughts to October's goals.

14 comments:

Maria said...

Well done Janice achieve all your goals for the month.
Looking forward see your Trail Mix soon and I like how you fussy cut the tiny centers for both RCS and Blockheads blocks.
Such pretty clam shells and lovely Christmas swag..

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Great job getting your done. Really love that red pineapple block...so pretty. Have a great day!

Sherrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow Janice, what an array of wonderful stitching. I loved seeing it all and thanks for sharing close ups so we can see your very neat stitching and those pretty fabrics. You do such wonderful work and I especially love the projects you choose.

Jenny said...

Havent you been busy this month, keeping up with all your projects! Such cute bunting, it will look great hanging up in the Christmas season.

Karen's Korner said...

You are on a roll there with such pretty results. Well done.

Cheryll said...

OMG Janice...ALL that sewing AND a trip away...well done.
Your effort is amazing...xox

Michelle Ridgway said...

Wow! Lovely work Janice....so many beautiful blocks....really love the red ones and Trail mix looks wonderful!

loulee said...

You had a great month, with lots of achievements and so many blocks for so many projects. LOL
And a weekend at Chookys.
Looking forward to seeing the binding on your Trail mix quilt.

kiwikid said...

I am looking forward to seeing your Trail Mix quilted and bound and finished!! Your blocks are beautiful and if anyone wants to pick on any corner then they need to get a life! I think your squares in a square look great. The clam shells are cute too. Great month for getting things done and going away!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Good Heavens! Do you have time to sleep with all these goals you accomplished? Lol.......seriously the amount you get done in one month is amazing. Love them all! I know how you feel about the pineapple block. I made several for my Long Time Gone quilt and, although I made them with my embroidery machine they were so much fun! I made some of those plus-x blocks many years ago and I struggled so with them. Yours is gorgeous. Congratulations on meeting so many goals!

Fiona said...

Lots of fabulous sttiching done there this month..... Trail Mix is definitely on my wish list to do.... I love it...
Hugz

Patty said...

Very nice! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

jude's page said...

Loving those trail mix quilts that are popping up in blog land, and you have a great collection of blocks made there.