Sunday 25 October 2020

A Fun Little Project

My Mum turned 91 last weekend.

What do you give someone of that age for a gift when they live in residential aged care?

Well, Mum has a nice little collection of bits and bobs featuring blue wrens.


Why not a blue wren cushion?  There are very few fabrics featuring wrens, so when I came across this pretty one I knew I would have to make something for Mum.  All other fabrics came from stash.


I had my first go at doing a concealed zipper in the cushion back and it worked a treat.  The zipper was also from stash and not as long as I would have liked, but it did the trick.  The fact that the pattern lined up was a very happy coincidence.


Residents at the aged care facility are only permitted to leave for medical appointments at the moment and you have to make an appointment to visit them where they live, but they allowed Mum to come over to our place for lunch on her birthday, which was a great relief.

I made a hummingbird cake, which was rather delicious.  As we can't blow out candles any more a sparkler made it a bit festive.

Her birthday was on the same day as the most recent Zoom get together, so I had to cut my stitching time short.  I think the reason for that was rather a good one.

15 comments:

Maria said...

That’s lovely Mum could come to your place for her Birthday 🥳 .
Her cake looks 😋.

Maria said...

Oh ! Thr Wren cushion is lovely and great job of the zip.

Gail said...

The wren cushion is very cute! Happy Birthday MUM!

Fiona said...

Happy Birthday to your Mum.... so great she was able to come over.. she looks so well and I bet she loved her cake
HUgz

Cheryll said...

I LoVe Hummingbird cake...I bet your Mum enjoyed it as it looks delicious...
Happy Birthday...xox

kiwikid said...

Very special to spend your Mums birthday with her. The cushion is lovely.

loulee said...

Mum looks well, being another year older doesn't seem to phase her.
The cushion looks pretty.

Karen's Korner said...

Happy birthday to the birthday girl and the perfect gift for the lady that has it all.

Chookyblue...... said...

thats a lovely idea for your mum's birthday........

Jenny said...

Such a lovely photo of your Mum and her birthday cake. I'm sure she loved the pretty blue wren cushion. I can just imagine her telling her friends, "Look what my daughter made me for my birthday!"

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Janice,
the pillow turned out wonderful. Glad to have met you at the zoom party for a little stitching and chatting.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Happy birthday to your Mum.....her cake looks delish! I love the pretty blue wren cushion you made.....so,perfect xx

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a wonderful age your Mom is and doesn't she look lovely in red. My Mom is 86 and in Long term care but we still enjoy phone conversations.
Funny you mention wrens, as I showed a photo I caught of a Jenny wren this last week. They are a cute tiny bird. And your cushion and clever hidden zip are awesome.

Susan said...

Hope your mum had a happy day - lucky she could "escape" for lunch!
I'll bet she loved the blue wrens on the cushion.

dq said...

Awe, it is so nice to see why you checked out of zoom. YOur sweet mother's cake looks delicious! I am glad they let her leave to attend her own birthday party. I am really feeling bad for the elderly during all this crazy time.