It's been a while since I have posted, so time for another catch up. But where to start? I have so many things to share from the last couple of months.
I've been taking things quietly for the last week, as I had surgery last Monday to remove my gall bladder. There will be no more trouble from those pesky gallstones from now on. Everything went well and my recovery has been good.
I suppose, as it is the end of November I had better start by sharing what I have been up to in the sewing room. You can check out my goals here.
Early in the month I got a wriggle on with my donation quilt. Firstly, piecing the backing, then doing some simple straight line quilting. While I was at it, I also made the binding.
All I need to do now is trim down the excess backing and batting and add the binding, which I will finish by machine. So, no finish on that one, but I have made good progress, which is what I had hoped for.
That ticked off my WOOFA Challenge and Donation Quilt goals.
My One Monthly Goal was to finish off my Laundry Basket Mystery Quilt by Edyta Sitar. The design has now been given the name of "Michigan". (I believe the instructions are still free on her website, for the time being.) All I needed to do to complete the quilt was to make and attach the binding. I had the binding made and attached by machine early in the month, but didn't get around to hand stitching it down.
Chooky arranged another Zoom sewing day a week and a half ago, so it was the perfect opportunity to sit and do the hand stitching. I tended to pop in and out during the day, but managed to get a finish. I so enjoy catching up with all the girls during these sewing sessions. They are my equivalent of a quilting group.
I'm beyond thrilled with how this quilt turned out. It was a spur of the moment decision to join in with the mystery sew along. All the fabric, including backing, borders, binding and batting were from stash.
Val did a lovely job with the quilting. The swirly design compliments the border and backing fabrics, while adding some movement to the sharper piecing shapes. It was handy that I could drop it in to her, despite being in lock down.
The quilt along started in May, I completed all the blocks by the end of June, then it had a little rest. In September, all the 225 small blocks were joined together and in October the borders were added and the quilting was done. Now it is finally completed. I didn't realise it had been on the go for quite so long. I'm very happy to now have it on our bed.
Anyway, that ticked off my OMG and provided a finish for One Project a Month finish. Bonus.
My only other stitching goal is my secret stitching, which is still secret and progressing very slowly. I think I need to get a wriggle on.
On an aside, I have always used this lovely old chair as my sewing chair. Mick and I bought it about 30 years ago, coated with thick layers of white gloss paint. My Dad did a beautiful job of restoring it.
He took so much time restoring the details on the back, using a dentist's drill to get the paint out of all the crevises.
Anyway, my back was getting a bit stiff as I was quilting the donation quilt, so went and got my office chair, which was much better. As a result, we decided that an upgrade would be a good idea for my sewing chair. (Also, I find the timber chair quite cold to sit on during the winter.)
This is what has been added to my sewing room. Who'd have thought you would be able to get an aqua office chair. The colour is ideal for my sewing room, being nice and bright. I definitely didn't want a black chair. I haven't done any sewing as yet, but I am sure it will be better for my comfort than my old one. And, yes, I will be keeping the old chair. It is too sentimental.
Just a couple of other things to share.
I received this lovely tea towel from Maria through the week. It was for a little swap she arranged. I won't share what I sent, as I don't think she has received it just yet. The post is somewhat unpredictable at the moment. This was a quick, simple little swap. Thanks Maria.