Tuesday 24 August 2021

Another Quilt in a Day

We had planned to travel to Orange on the Friday that we ended up staying home awaiting our Covid test results, so I had a free day with nothing planned.  

It was the perfect opportunity to make another quilt in a day. I knew exactly what I wanted to create, so got stuck right in.
This was my starting point.  I bought these two little jelly rolls, consisting of 20 strips each, at Big W a few years ago for $5 each.  As you can see, the one on the right had been opened, but it was all there. For that price it was still worth buying.
I had purchased some flannellete at Spotlight that matched beautifully for the backing and had some brown homespun that would work for the binding.

I came across a Youtube tutorial for Jellyroll 18-Patch which I thought would work perfectly for this.  If I made nine blocks it would use eighteen strips, with two left over that would go in a scrappy binding.  The quilt would end up 36 inches square.
You sew two strips together. After the detailed quilts I have been making, it was great fun to sew flat out when joining the jelly roll strips.  Then you cut the strips into 13 1/2 inch lengths.  This is the one thing I would do differently, I would cut them a tad longer, say 13 3/4 inches long, as I found I still had ends that weren't perfectly straight.  There is enough length in the width of the fabric to do this. Stitch the strips to create a square block.
You then cut  the block into three sections of 4 1/2 inches wide and flip the middle section.  So easy.
It didn't take long at all to have the nine blocks made.
Next it was time to find some batting.  In a tub I found a strip that was 19 inches wide.  I cut it in half lengthwise and joined it to make some "frankenbatting", a term I had only recently heard, but rather like.
It was the perfect size with only about an inch to spare on each side.

While I was crawling around on the floor pin basting ready for quilting, my phone bipped and it was Chooky advising there was an impromptu Zoom get together going to take place.  Of course I joined in.  I must have looked a bit odd to the other girls as I crawled around.
I chatted while I did the quilting.  It was just rather organic wavy lines along each row.  I think it was enough.  You can see here how well the backing matches the quilt.
Ta Da! One little quilt, completed in a day.  I'm very happy with it.  If you are wondering why I'm making these little quilts, it is because Ronald McDonald House in Orange have requested some.  The perfect excuse for me to have a play. We had hoped to drop a couple off on that Friday, but it will have to wait until things open up again.

I still have the second jelly roll to play with in the future.  I don't know if I will make one the same as this or try something different.  We will see.

11 comments:

Jeanette said...

Lovely little quilt. Love the fabrics you used. Hugs, xx

simplestitches said...

looks great and I'm sure the child that receives it will love it!

ButterZ said...

Well done Janice.
What size do these quilts measure

Maria said...

What a gorgeous little kids quilt you made today .
Love the backing as it can be a nice reversible quilt now…
Thanks for the idea for a Jelly Roll lingering in my cupboard….👍❤️

Chookyblue...... said...

Your on fire of late..... This is another cute one.....

Jenny said...

What a great pattern, I love fast and easy!

Fiona said...

Great little quilt....
Hugz

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your quilt looks fantastic and how great to be able to finish a quilt that quickly!

loulee said...

A lovely little finish. Hope things settle soon and you get to deliver your donation.

Raewyn said...

A quilt in a day sounds very fulfilling! An effective design - well done! Any idea how much longer you will be in lock down for?

kiwikid said...

Equivalent quilt Janice, nothing better than achieving such quick results. It is beautiful fabric.