Sunday 24 December 2023

Merry Christmas

It’s Christmas Eve and I think that I have everything done that I can in readiness for the big day tomorrow.  We will be having my Mum and my brother and his family here for lunch, before we then travel to Mick’s nephew’s to see his family and then on to some good friends’ place for a relaxed evening.
All our Christmas parties are now over. We had our usual neighbourhood get together at our house last Sunday, which was a good opportunity to welcome a new family to the street.  Both my stitching groups have had a nice lunch and there was a Christmas lunch at Mum’s aged care facility, complete with a visit from Santa. Add to this dinners with friends and we have been very social.
Mum’s Christmas tree in her room showcases her collection of hand made decorations.  She has been making decorations for many years.

Here are some of our decorations, which are very similar to last year.
The mantle piece is always a nice place to decorate.
I always think of Joey as a tiny kitten climbing this tree.  That was sixteen years ago and he is slowing down now.
The teddies are looking fine in the sunshine.
We have our usual lights outside, but they are looking rather washed out in this photo.
Our street is still well lit up.  While a couple of houses that used to really go all out have toned it down, some more are adding a few lights and one is making a great display.
I have a few new ornaments on our stick tree, in addition to the ones I showed previously.  
The hexy one is a gift from Lou.
These clever crochet baubles were made by one of my old work colleagues.  She does the most amazing crochet pieces and these were a lovely surprise.
This final bauble was bought in Alice Springs when we visited and I forgot to hang it last year.  It is hard to see, but the designs on the inside of the folds is aboriginal artwork.
While I’m on the subject of ornaments, this is the one I made and sent to Lou this year.  It was fun to revisit some blackwork.  I haven’t done any since I was in high school.
Today, I finished off the Crossroads Quilt, while watching a couple of corny Christmas movies. Happy dance!  A lovely way to spend the afternoon.  I will have a separate post for the big Ta Da.
So, on that note, I wish everyone all the very best for this season and a Happy New Year.

10 comments:

ShinyNewThing said...

Your house looks very Christmassy! Have a lovely holiday, Sharon

Maria said...

Wishing Mick and you a Happy Christmas 🎄 and Best Wishes for 2024 🎉

cityquilter grace said...

lovely decorations all...love the stick tree too!

Raewyn said...

Have a very Happy Christmas Janice. It sounds like there has been plenty happening to get you into the Christmas Spirit. Enjoy your time with your Mum.

Susan Smith said...

What a lovely post, putting me to shame as I've been so slack. Glad you've had a good lead up to Christmas & may it be a happy one. Take care & big hugs to you both from us. BTW, raining here, super windy & much cooler than yesterday..........it's supposed to be summer.

Karen's Korner said...

Your house is looking very festive both in and out.

Jenny said...

Merry Christmas to you too. Your Christmas Day will be very busy, by the sound of it.

Sharm said...

You had some lovely decorations up ……so good to catch up on zoom today

loulee said...

Lovely to see some old friends in there, and some new friends too. I hope this years turns up at your place soon.

Chookyblue...... said...

sounds like it has and will be a lovely Christmas time with family and friends.....so many pretty Christmas decorations......