Friday 29 December 2023

Crossroads Quilt Ta Da

Here she is, in all her glory.  This quilt really makes me happy.
When I left off last time, I was at the stage of choosing a backing fabric from my stash.  I was thinking that it would possibly be the ideal quilt to use my thrifted vintage 1970s orange floral sheet that I have had for ages.  I actually have a pair of these.  It ended up being perfect, as there is quite a bit of orange in the blocks.

When I looked closer at it, the sheet was way off square and there were also some printing flaws, where the fabric had obviously been creased.  After a bit of a think, I remembered that the best way to square up fabric is to tear it across the width.  It worked a treat and really emphasised how twisted it was.  Fortunately, even with the printing flaws, there was still plenty of fabric for the backing.
Next to choose a pantograph.  "Flower Power", which is a freebie from Urban Elementz was ideal.

Two days before Christmas I had fun quilting it, and everything went smoothly.
Now for the binding.  I was a bit undecided what to use.  My first choice was a grey criss crossy fabric that would be very neutral.  Mick didn't like that one, as he reckoned it needed something to act as a stop to the blocks.
Second choice was the red of the centres, but I didn't like that, too dark, especially how it would look at the back.
Finally, I thought to use the orange backing fabric.  That worked so much better and also used some of the left overs of the sheet.
I was starting to doubt if I would manage to finish it before Christmas, but everything seemed to be under control, so on Christmas Eve afternoon I sat down in front of the tele and hand stitched down the binding while watching two cheesy Christmas movies.  A rather pleasant way to spend some time.
I love it.  This would be the perfect picnic quilt, or to take in the caravan, or to snuggle under, or just stroke.

Here are some close ups of some of the blocks.
Aren’t they fun.
Ta Da!  Check out the quilt holder's bare feet.  LOL
And the back.

I don't know why, but this quilt has made me happy from start to finish and has gone together so easily.  "The Crossroads Quilt" by Treehouse Textiles is the official name, but I think I will call mine the "Happy Hippy Quilt".

5 comments:

dq said...

This lovely little quilt is quilted and bound? You have been an industrious lady! I love it even more finished. You are doing great with your longarm!

Chookyblue...... said...

Is this the quickest quilt you have ever made............its looks great and bright fun fabric so a winner for me also.......

Jenny said...

Didn't you do well, from start to finish in no time at all, it seems. Congratulations!

Susan Smith said...

Love it Janice & am thinking maybe I should do similar with my mountains of scraps after 40+ years of quilting. I noticed the feet before I got to the caption.(lol) Also noticed the heart quilt hanger on the wall, another thing we have in common. Mine has the Churn Dash mini I made after joining in that challenge, very, very late. Take care & hugs.

Lianne makes stuff said...

That is lovely and a very happy quilt.