Tuesday 19 December 2023

I’m On a Roll

Remember yesterday I was having fun with the Crossroads Quilt.  Well, I’ve continued to play today, as other than a haircut, I didn’t have anywhere to be or anything in particular to do.
Firstly, I did make those last eighteen blocks. That’s all fifty six completed.  Happy dance!

I forgot to mention yesterday that my machine started playing up.  It started to keep running, even when I had taken my foot off the pedal.  I hoped it was something simple, as it wasn’t all the time.  Anyway, we pulled it apart and there was a bit of fluff and dust in there, but very little considering the machine is 20 years old.  I now have a better understanding of how the foot pedal works.  I wish I’d thought to take a photo of its innards.  The bit that pushes in when you put your foot on the pedal has a bit of wire in it that compresses two springs that activate a plastic white bar thingy, which I think then triggers something electrical.  (How’s that for technical.) Well, that white bar thingy was pretty sticky, so we gave it a good wipe down.  Touch wood, it has been fine since then.

Back to the quilt…..

So, I thought I would just lay the blocks out to see how they looked.  Remembering, I had pressed half the blocks towards the cross and half away from it.  I cannot express enough how pleased I am that I made that decision right at the start.  Anyway, that did govern which blocks could go where.  I just lay them out, as they came, with just a little consideration to keep colours separate.
This is how it ended up, with just a couple of blocks shuffled around.  Very random and I didn’t overthink it.

Now, how to piece the top…. would I attempt to web it or just join in rows?  I web individual blocks, but have never successfully webbed a whole quilt top.  I decided to compromise and web it, but in two sections.  The top four rows and then the bottom three rows and then join the two sections.  I’m happy to say it worked like a charm.

Did I mention that it is so good that I pressed the blocks the way I did? Yep.  Well, I’m saying it again.  It came together so very easily and that would not have happened if they were all pressed the same way.
Time to lay it out and have a look. I barely had it spread out and someone had to come and plonk on it.  Honestly, Joey!  
Time to hop off.  No, he was quite happy there.
Really!!! He did have to check that all parts were to his satisfaction.  I’m happy to humour him, as he is now sixteen and starting to show his age.  He is having trouble with his teeth and with eating.  He needs some extra love and pampering these days.
Finally, here is the top in all its glory.  It is straight.  The photo just shows it in a distorted fashion.  I love it.  It is such a happy looking quilt.  This one will be a keeper.

Now, to hunt out something suitable for a backing.  Do you think I could possibly get it quilted before Christmas?  Oh yeah, I also need to decide on a quilting design.  I don’t think it will be done by tomorrow.

9 comments:

Barwitzki said...

It's great, these wonderful colors. I love it.
And I'm curious what you use for a background :-))
And yes, your sweet cat likes it, or maybe she is the guardian of your treasure.
Many happy Advent greetings to you from Viola.

Karen's Korner said...

WOW..... You don't muck around. A great effort for this week.

Susan Smith said...

Happy dance..........yes. It looks great! Joey has the right idea to test it & my late cat Tabitha always did the same, though her daughter Fluffy would rather play with blocks & move them everywhere. Take care & hugs.

Jenny said...

Well done getting all those blocks completed!

cityquilter grace said...

super cute top and the red center squares are just enough to tie them all in and yet not overpower...perfect!

loulee said...

Beautiful top. Joey may be getting on in years, but he is still a very good quilt inspector.

dq said...

Such a cute quilt! I have to make one!

Chookyblue...... said...

it looks great Janice.........

Raewyn said...

You're right, it is a happy quilt. Seam pressing the right way makes such a difference - glad you had success!!