My One Monthly Goal for January was to work on my Swoon quilt, to have two completed blocks and all the blocks cut out, ready to just pick up and stitch.
This is where I was up to in December. The HST and flying geese were stitched but not trimmed and the stitch and flip were stitched and flipped. The various components still needed to be joined together to complete the block. A nice quick finish for that block in January........... or so it should have been.......
On Friday I trimmed down the HST and flying geese.
On Saturday I got up really early, as I was wide awake, and made a start. Nothing seemed to fit. I always struggle with accuracy with stitch and flip points and they really did not want to play this time. I restitched a couple of seams four times!!! I'm still not really happy with them, but the fabric would have started to disintegrate if I used my quick unpick any more. Mick reckons I am being too finicky, which I probably am.
I think part of the problem was that I tried to use home made quarter inch tape and not draw a diagonal line with the stitch and flip. It was good in theory, but not as accurate as if I had drawn the line....... live and learn. Also, I was in a rush with all that was happening at the end of the year, so not really a good time to work on this.
It turned out relatively well in the end.........about three hours later....... The blocks are 24 inches square.
Move onto the second block...... I took my time and everything went well, as it should have. I really like this block.
The fabrics are from various ranges of Bonnie and Camille. They all work rather well together.
The second part of my goal was to cut out all the blocks.
Done, and all in their little baggies, along with my notes on stitching with the directional fabrics, of which there are a lot.
Unfortunately, the baggies don't fit in my pretty box, so they just have to have their own separate tub.
My plan is to use quilt as you go with this one and I had hoped to piece and quilt a block each month. I had an idea for a backing, but do you think I can find the fabric......that may be telling me something. I need to hunt it out or find an alternative. In the meantime, I will keep working on the piecing and then catch up with the quilting at a later date. I also reckon I will end up getting the blocks pieced relatively quickly.
Anyway, my OMG for January has been achieved and it is time to start working on my other goals for the month.