Sunday 21 April 2019

Scrub Stitchin' - Part 2 - The Stitching

After unpacking our things in our cabins it was time to venture over to the main hall and see how everything was set up this time.  Quite a few girls were already into to the sewing.  Sandy and Sonia had their pop up shops beautifully set up as well.


I found my spot, took a photo of the room and didn't take any other sewing photos all weekend.  Too busy stitching, chatting, eating, shopping......and just generally enjoying myself.

And what a weekend of stitching it was.  I'm always blown away by the talent of these ladies, as well as the diverse variety of styles of work.  I know that hand stitching will slow me down, and generally means that a project won't get finished in a hurry, if at all, while others thoroughly enjoy the relaxing process of needle turn applique, English paper piecing and embroidery and dread machine sewing.  

Show and tell is always impressive.


Googy Girl finished piecing a quilt top for her daughter Sabrina.  The colours are so vibrant and fresh.  They really pop against the grey background.


Sonia designed a lovely stitchery featuring wildflowers (so appropriate for our scrub setting) for our weekend's project. This is Sabrina's version, and she had added to it by the time I came home.  This was Sabrina's first time joining the scrubbers and her first time at doing embroidery.  I was blown away by her beautiful work, great use of colour and selection of stitches.


Deb has finished her "Natures Journey" from Chooky's stitch along from a few years ago.  The French General fabrics worked so well.


Susan had several projects.  She has been very productive, but my camera decided to play up, so I only have one to share.


Annette shared her bright, fresh quilt.  So pretty.


Sue has just received her quilt back from the long arm quilter.  This design is by Susan who used to also visit Nundle with us.  Not exactly the easiest design to piece.  She has done an amazing job.

I had a few quilts to share (quite novel for me), but of course, no photo, as I was holding them up.

What I can share is my progress on Splendid Sampler 2. 


I worked away on the machine applique of the blocks I had prepared.  I completed ten on the weekend. 


I have a few more partly done.



For the first time since about week twelve I put the blocks together.  A few of the ones on the wall needed a bit of finishing off, but it was really good to see how they play together.  There are 61 here, so well past the half way mark.  It makes me even more keen to get all the blocks completed.

Towards the end of the weekend some progress show and tell took place.


Harriet not only pieced this quilt, she quilted it.


Two matching, vibrant quilt tops.


Peta's daughter will love this once it is completed.


When you cut lots of strips, make a fun strip quilt.


Raewyn made a quilt top from the green heart blocks that we made.  I didn't get a shot of the completed top, but it was lovely.  She did a wonderful job. Someone in Christchurch will receive a nice quilty hug from our group.

More soon.

5 comments:

Fiona said...

lots of lovely work.... great progress on your blocks...
Hugz

Jenny said...

What a lovely time you had, and I love all your 30s blocks, especially the sewing machine. Great show and tell too.

Maria said...

Amazing show and tell by all the clever ladies...
Scraps always make fabulous quilts....
Loving all your SS blocks.....

Chookyblue...... said...

Great pics from the weekend ... . Always love seeing what catches others eyes...
Such fun memories...... .

Raewyn said...

Lovely to see your photos from the show and tell - a great selection of them all. I've enjoyed reading your posts - from this yearand last!! (I've pieced the second hearts quilt but neither of them are quilted just yet - soon, though!)