Tuesday 30 January 2024

Phew! I Made It

No matter what, I always seem to achieve one of my monthly goals by the skin of my teeth.  This time it was to work on a donation project and use Monique.  I knew what I wanted to do, I just had to get a wriggle on and do it.

Way back in November 2022 I cut out quite a few small quilts to make up for donations and to give me some practice using Monique.  I made some of them, but there were still a few languishing in their tubs.  There were two using Winnie the Pooh fabric.  I knew vaguely what they were but had to get out the pattern to see exactly what I was planning.

It was a couple of rather simple star quilts, using pretty much the same fabrics, but laying out the triangles differently.  It is amazing how different they look.

Yesterday for the first time, I quilted them both at the same time.  They finish at 40 inches, so with the 90 inch wide batting and 108 inch wide back it was ideal.  It worked really well.

I finished them off with their binding today, just in the nick of time to get them done this month.


I was a bit stumped as to what border fabric to use.  This butterfly and beetle one was ideal.  I have quite a bit of yardage that I bought years ago as an end of bolt for next to nothing.  There is a date of 2004 on the selvedge.  


The second quilt used some of the star fabric for the border and just the backing for binding.  The pantograph is “Scroll Work”, a freebie from Urban Elementz.  I find it suits so many quilts.

So, happy dance.  Not only did I tick off my goals, it is two UFOs out of the way as well.  It’s a good feeling.

I have to tell you about my batting purchase last week.

On Wednesday, I went out to Spotlight to buy the embroidery hoop for my little stitchery.  They had 30% off all wadding and with the VIP coupon you could get 50% off Legacy brand.  I normally buy the pre packed Legacy Bamboo/Cotton wadding when it comes on special at $80 for 8 metres.  The normal price is $220, so even at 50% off I left it there.

The next day I received a text message advising that I could get $50 off if I spend $150.  I went onto their website to look a bit more at their wadding.  The Legacy 60/40 cotton/poly wadding is normally $200, but it is 10 metres. For donation quilts that is a better deal.  

Now for the best bit.  On that day, on their web site, they had one of their $80 a pack specials.  It wasn’t even displayed on the stand in the store.  So, I bought two rolls of cotton/poly, which would normally cost $400 for $110 (with the discount and the $50 off).  Instead of $20/metre, it was $5.50/metre.  One happy Janice.  I won’t need to buy any for quite some time.  The hardest part was finding somewhere to stash it……under the spare bed.

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Don't you love a good bargain! Cute little quilts, well done on their finish.

kiwikid said...

That was a great buy Janice!! Your two quilts are wonderful, well done on the finish and meeting your goal.

Jo said...

Great purchase and 2 super finishes.

Jeanette said...

That was a good deal on the wadding. I meant to check it out after you mentioned it on Zoom but forgot. :(. Cute little quilts.

cityquilter grace said...

two adorable little star quilts....and a whale of a buy there janice...

cityquilter grace said...

two adorable star quilts, beautifully quilted too...you and monique are a dynamic duo...great buy on batting!

Jenny said...

What a great deal on your batting! Pretty little quilts and quilting them together seems ideal.

Maria said...

Both your donations quilts are lovely and your quilting looks great.
What a wonderful bargain with the wadding...

Susan said...

gorgeous donation quilts...it s a great quilting pattern...and I recognize that backing...it goes with so many quilts.
Great bargain shopping too.

Fiona said...

I so love your big star quilts.... I will have to try something like that... well done with your wadding purchase...
Hugz

dq said...

Well, your patience and persistence really paid off with the batting.
Very lovely star finishes! It sounds like you and your new longarm are becoming pretty good friends.

Chookyblue...... said...

Looks like your doing great with Monique...... Great to have the quilts done.......
Cool deal.....