Saturday 27 January 2024

First UFO Finish For the Year

A few years ago I made a concerted effort to complete some UFOs and was rather successful.  However, in the last couple of years there have been quite a few added to the ones that still remained incomplete.

I’ve made a list of twenty four UFOs for 2024.  That’s pretty sad, isn’t it.  My goal is to complete twelve of them.  All things being equal, it should be quite achievable, as quite a few are quilts just needing quilting. I would actually like to complete quite a few more than that.

I’ve made a very small start and completed one little stitchery.

This is my “A Quiet Life” stitchery, designed by Jenny of Elefantz.  Jennifer’s looks lovely with the fabric border.

This design came about as a result of conversations between Jennifer and myself way back in 2017. Jennifer was dedicating her year to “A Year of Gentle Domesticity” and was extolling the merits of a quiet life.  I told her about this quote.  The history of it dates back to when I was in my final year of high school.  All the deaf kids in our area attended our school and their teacher was a keen photographer.  She had her students take black and white portraits of our class.  At our graduation dinner there were posters of each of us hung around the walls, showing our portrait and with a quote about us underneath.  This is the quote that was underneath mine. I retained that poster for many years, but finally threw it out, after keeping the photo.

Jennifer designed this stitchery and gifted me a copy of the pattern.  I traced it off at the time and started working on it.  However, as I was using a darker linen it was quite hard to see.  It has done many miles with us on our travels, but had made no further progress.

Finally, I made it a priority this year, as I try hard to reduce the number of UFOs that are taking up space in my sewing room.


I framed it very simply in a six inch embroidery hoop.  It now hangs on my “Round Thing Wall” in my sewing room.  It is really nice to have that quote included, as it has such a special meaning.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

That's very sweet stitchery - congratulations on getting it finished!

Jenny said...

That's a lovely story behind that stitchery Janis. Your stitching is so fine and exact, well done.

Maria said...

A very pretty UFO finish.

Susan Smith said...

One UFO already.........better than I'm doing. Well done & I loved that wall when I saw it. Your stitching is so neat. Hope you had a lovely Saturday, take care & hugs.

Fiona said...

Thats a lovely finish... and great story to go with it...
Hugz

Chookyblue...... said...

Hey Janice great to finally have it finished and the simple finish looks great......