Tuesday 16 January 2024

Fishy Business

I didn’t plan on going down any rabbit holes or finding any squirrels at the moment…..but….there is such a wonderful variety of BOMs, and stitch alongs beginning now that are so tempting.

Angie Padilla releases a free block on the 7th of each month for an applique quilt.  I’ve saved the patterns for the last couple of years, but this time I’ve decided to dive in, as they are very simple blocks that would work rather well for a donation quilt or two.  The blocks are free for the first month and after that are only available to her paid subscribers.

As it is a nice and colourful design, I have decided that it would kind of work for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  To make a quilt the size shown requires two of each fish with three extras.  I will initially make two of each, and then decide whether I’ll make the large quilt or two child sized quilts using twelve blocks each.

How I will work it, to save having two of the same fish in the same colour, is to make one fish with the month’s colour as the body and the second using the month’s colour for the accents.  It should be fun.  

For this month I dug out the aqua batik fabric that I have had hiding in the back of the drawer for yonks.  It was bought as the end of a bolt for next to nothing.  I still have loads, so it may even work for a border and backing?  Better still, there was a couple of strips 6 1/2” inches wide.  Bonus!

Anyway, I’m looking forward to finding a variety of blues for the backgrounds and some fun bright colours for the fish.  It will nearly be brighter than the Great Barrier Reef. 

14 comments:

Maria said...

The Fishy 🐠 blocks look great .
I had thought of doing them for the RSC too but so far have resisted.
Still need to find a bock I’d like to do??

Jo said...

It will be so coo and bright and fun.

Susan Smith said...

FUN.........I think the 2 kid size quilts would be best as children love the bright & quite often have a fascination with sea creatures. Look forward to seeing your progress on this one. Take care & hugs.

Jenny said...

Lovely colourful fish, just right for RSC. I like your idea of using the nominated colours as both a main and an accent.

Karen's Korner said...

Great RSC design. Love your idea of alternating the main body and head/tail colours.

Susan said...

Janice -this is such a fun idea - hope you don't mind, but I think I will follow in your tracks....I have plenty of balis that I can use up.
And nothing else had come to mind.

Happy fishing!

kiwikid said...

That is a great quilt Janice, you will have fun with it.

dq said...

Oh man, Janice, I LOVE THIS QUILT! It will be perfect for RSC too. Your idea of switching the main fish color and the accents is so well thought out as well. You are always tempting me to do new things. I am going to stand strong this time, but I don't really want to.
The colors in the quilt at the top of this post are really talking to me. They may be just right for my Aussie/NZ quilt.

cityquilter grace said...

very cute janice...and you are right about it being ideal for donation quilts...i myself caved on 2 sew alongs...

Julie in GA said...

That is a perfect choice for the RSC, and your idea to use the monthly color in two different places each month is brilliant! I'm very tempted to join you on this one.

Raewyn said...

Great idea - this will be a fun quilt - and an inspired idea to use it as as your RSC project.

Helenchaffin said...

What a cute & fun block,this is going to be an adorable quilt!I will enjoy following these fishes throughout the year 😄

Jeanette said...

Cute fish. Love the fabrics.

Chookyblue...... said...

the fish look great........still not joining you girls.....