Thursday 16 March 2023

Ta Da! - Times Two

I’ve been playing with Monique and am starting to feel a bit more confident with using her.  I have quilted two small donation quilts this week and am fairly happy with how they turned out.  Mind you, I can see things that need much improvement, but I’m not telling you where those things are and you won’t notice them.  Each quilt is proving to be a good learning exercise, as I make mistakes and encounter problems.  I’m taking Jude’s advice - Practise, patience and perseverance.

Firstly, I completed the little gingham quilt.
The front.
 I used a free scrolly pantograph, which is quite effective.
The back, with the cute little dachshunds in flannel.  It will be nice and snuggly.  
The binding has been stitched down by machine, to be more durable.  I feel I’m starting to get the hang of this, but will always prefer to stitch the binding down by hand on better quilts.
Then, it was time to complete my One Monthly Goal and complete the Harry Potter quilt that has been waiting patiently in the wings for quite a few months now.
This time I used a free star pantograph.  The star legs are supposed to be straight, but that just wasn’t going to happen with me directing the machine.  However, I really think I like the curved effect better.  I can see me using this pantograph on more kiddie quilts.
The back shows the stars nicely.  When I started, I was worried about the colour of the thread, but once it was all done, I was really happy with it.
Another binding stitched down by machine.

I have another identical Harry Potter quilt cut out, ready to stitch.  The only difference will be the backing fabric.

Both these quilts will be donated to Ronald McDonald House.

I’ll be linking up with Elm Street Quilts later in the month.

This week is rather crazy busy, so I will report back with the rest of the week later on.
Finally, I have updated my little kitchen shelf for St Patrick’s Day with a few little cuties.

13 comments:

ButterZ said...

Good to see you having fun with your quilting and the binding is fine for charity quilts.

Jenny said...

Aren't you clever, coming to grips with your quilting machine! Both of these will make wonderful donation quilts for Rinald Macdonald House.

Fiona said...

Going great with the quilting.... and lovely finishes ...

Hugz

Maria said...

WOW! You’re doing a great job working on Monique…
Always good to machine sew kids and donation quilts.
Have a fun St Pats Day.🍀💚🍀

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love these finishes and how kind you are to donate them.

Janet O. said...

You appear to be doing very well with the quilting.
I like your little St. Patrick's decor. I think I have similar figurines to the pair on the right. :)

loulee said...

Two great finishes. Your stars look fine.

jude's page said...

Your quilting looks great, I used to worry about every little wobble when I first started, and used to unpick, but then decided to wait until i had finished, and if it was so hard to find, then it stayed!! Cute shelf with the green ornaments!!

Susan said...

You're doing well with your learning curve! Congratulations on having the machine, and getting to practice with it. Two beautiful finishes. I saw someone who quilts the bindings down, and she was using a flange, which is easy to do, and which hides some of the stitching, and makes straight lines easier. Might experiment with that and see if you like it, too.

Marly said...

Two lovely little quilts. They will brighten up someone's room and help to bring them cheer in dark days.

Karin - BluePip Designs said...

Both quilts turned out wonderful!

Karen's Korner said...

Well done on your two finishes. You and Monique are doing great together.

Chookyblue...... said...

glad your having a crack which is more then I can say for me.......but its good you ahve the time to do this.....