Monday 13 March 2023

Another Busy Week

This idea of blogging just once a week is working well, except that the posts are turning out to be very long.  Grab a cuppa and see what we have been up to.
I've definitely managed my 15 minutes of crafting each day.

My tally so far:
15 minutes day/week = 7/7
15 minutes day/March = 12/12
15 minutes day in 2023 = 69/71
Success rate = 97.72%

I'm linking up with Kate at Life in Pieces.

So what did I do?
My first job was to make the table runner that I needed to finish this week to gift.  I was to start on Tuesday, but kept second guessing myself, so read a book from cover to cover, as you do.  Finally, I made a start, still not sure if I would like it.  I was going to quilt it in navy, but very quickly realised that was going to be too stark, so changed to grey.  
Finally, as I added more and more quilting lines and it developed some texture I decided I liked it.  
I hand stitched the binding down at Patchwork on Tuesday and it has now been passed on to be gifted shortly.
Next, I added the binding to the little koala quilt that will be donated.  
It has a nice and soft flannel on the back.  It was a quick little finish.

I decided I'd better get a wriggle on with my RSC blocks, as we will be away for a couple of weeks.
The colour this month is green.  

I'm linking up over at So Scrappy.  Pop over to see what other green creations are in the works.
I'm not sure if lime will come up later in the year, so have just stuck with the dark green this time.

At my stitching morning on Friday I started work on some secret stitching, so no progress was made with my Dresdens this week.  
The little gingham quilt was next on the agenda for Monique, with me trying a different pantograph this time.  I quite like the swirly design.  I'm starting to feel a little more confident.  I will add the binding in the next couple of days.

Finally, I did a few rows of knitting one day when I had very little time available.
Now to other things…
As I mentioned earlier, I did read a book.  "The Bullet that Missed" is the third of the Thursday Murder Club series and are a nice, light read. I do rather like them. Apparently, there will be a fourth published this year.

We've been playing in the kitchen again, but no new recipes at this stage.
Our tomatoes have finally got a wriggle on, so another batch of relish has been made.  We had some bananas needing using, so a batch of muffins and banana bread are now in the freezer.  Also, another roast has been cooked in the camp oven.  It really is a nice way to cook meat.  It ends up so lovely and moist.
Mick had a nice morning kayaking on Chifley Dam one day.  No fish were caught, but he still had a good time.
On Sunday we had an early start, as we went out to Oberon for their Swap Meet.  We had a stall and continued to sell some bric a brac.  It was a beautiful day for it, although rather warm towards the end.
Naturally, we brought something home as well.  Another little German toy sewing machine for the collection.  
It is similar to one I have, but has a couple of different design features.
The other find was rather unusual.  It is a trailer to tow behind a little dinky kiddies bike.  We've never seen one before. We have a dinkie with a pot plant sitting on the seat.  Once Mick straightens out the wheel and adds a connecting bar, we will also have a pot plant in the trailer.  
One other thing we have been up to for the last five weeks is attending "Learn to Play Lawn Bowls".  I wasn't going to learn, as I am the most unsporty person given breath, but Mick talked me into it.  There were initially six of us, but we are down to four.  We have two good bowlers teaching us, which is wonderful.  It is so good to be taught the right way to go about things from the start.  We are all really enjoying it, but need loads more practice.

So that wraps up another busy week. 

14 comments:

Jenny said...

You've done very well with your sewing, table runner made, baby quilt completed, and machine quilting the pretty gingham quilt.

Helenchaffin said...

lots of fun projects,I have so many I feel there is no end to them ,I use to keep up with 3 blogs,I've just gotten back into blogging after 30 plus years,blogging gives us a chance to meet people from around the world & learn new cultures,I googled your "lawn bowls" what a fascinating & challenging sounding game

Maria said...

Love the table runner and you’ve had a great fishes using Monique… well done.
Some fun pick ups at the market…
You’ll both enjoy playing bowls each week.

Susie H said...

Might be considered a long post but very interesting. I like the idea you've got going for the RSC blocks. Great way to use up a good amount of neutrals along with the color of the month. Are you just learning to use a long-arm? Is that why you said you were just getting comfortable with doing some quilting? I've scheduled to for certification at my LQS so I can rent time on theirs. Any tips? Hope you have another good week!

Kate said...

Your navy and cream table runner turned out beautifully! Congrats on all the stitching time, you've put your time to good use. Happy stitching this week.

loulee said...

Your table runner is beautiful. Lovely work with Monique too. Go you!
I have not played bowls for years, I used to play in the Mooragh park each summer. Like you I'm not terribly sporty, but the pace of bowls suited me nicely. LOL

Fiona said...

I do love your table runner.. .the lines quilting is perfect and you and Monique are doing some great stuff there..... good for your learning lawn bowls.... I don't play but I know its a great social game....
Hugz

ButterZ said...

You are doing great with your quilting and the table runner worked out wonderful. Love the little dinkie trailer. The fun childhood times. Hope you keep up with your bowls.

Karen's Korner said...

The runner turned out beautifully despite your doubts. You are certainly kept busy in the sewing room and well done on your 15 mins each day - it is amazing what you can do in that time if ready to just sit and sew. I have to disagree with you being the "most unsporty person" - I detest sport of any type. In my school days I was known to hide in the PE change rooms or sit around the back of the building to avoid having to take part. The only class that I "wagged" Enjoy your bowling lessons.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great work on those projects!

Cheryll said...

Love the table runner... & the quilting is perfect.
You are busy on lots of "other" things as well as using Monique.

Susan said...

yes, you do have a lot to put into a blog post - but its all good reading...interesting little sewing machines you have- love the idea of the trike & trailer.

I think the table runner does look good now - love the heavy quilting on it.

jude's page said...

Trying to catch up on all your posts this morning, love the table runner, and your time with Monique is paying off. That little trailer will look great with the trike and some pot plants.

Chookyblue...... said...

nice runner.......cute machine and goodluck with the bowls......