Monday 6 March 2023

Last Week's Happenings

It has been yet another fun filled week, but not all that much to show for it in the sewing room.  I'm just picking up from Wednesday, as Monday and Tuesday were included in my end of month wrap up.

My knitting is slowly progressing, when I catch a few minutes to work on it.  I'm not in any hurry now, as I will be away later this month, and it is a nice portable project to take with me.

I have continued to make my Dresden parts while at my stitching groups.  They are progressing well.  Just ten of the thirty two to go.
Remember I pieced a koala baby quilt at the very end of February.  Well, the next day I quilted it, using Monique.  Once again I had tension dramas and was getting rather frustrated with it all.  Eventually, after lots of fiddling, it came good and progress was made.  It is now waiting patiently for me to add the binding, which is all ready to go.
On Wednesday, at our patchwork group, an elderly lady that one of the members knows, was having a destash.  It was mainly 1980s fabrics.  I did bring some home, as they will actually work in a couple of projects I have in mind.  There were even a couple of Liberty prints in there.
There was also some other fabrics brought in for sale.  I bought some hot pink wide back scraps.  If I was going to bring it home, I thought I had better use it.   After a little think, I found some softer pink yardage and white to add to it.
Ta da!  A very simple gingham baby quilt flimsy.  This is as far I as I have got at this stage.  The backing will be pink flannelette with dachshunds on it.  A cute fabric to go with the simple front.  

Hopefully, both these baby quilts will be completed this week, if Monique plays nicely for me.

At short notice, I now have another project to work on.  I will be making a table runner as a gift.  Their decor is greys and black with pops of navy.  That is a little tricky, as there isn't a great deal of contrast in that colour selection.
I will work with these fabrics.  I don't have a lot of navy in my stash.  I had the low volume in stash and purchased the middle fabric, not really knowing if it would work or not.  I then found the scraps from my Jocelyn Proust quilt and discovered that the two fabrics work really well together.  A very simple pattern has been found that should work fine.  I don hope they like it.  Watch this space.
I have managed to maintain my 15 minutes a day, which I am pleased about.

My tally so far:
15 minutes day/week = 7/7
15 minutes day/March = 5/5
15 minutes days in 2023 = 62/64
Success rate = 96.88%

I’m linking up with Kate at Life in Pieces.
Now to other things.
Being the start of autumn, it was time to refresh my little shelf in the kitchen.  Once again, a very simple collection on show.

We had a very busy and social weekend.
Firstly, on Saturday I travelled down to Medlow Bath to attend a high tea at the Hydro Majestic, which is a rather famous and historic hotel in the Blue Mountains.  The occasion was a family friend’s bridal shower.
Check out the view to the Megalong Valley from the restauraunt.
There was no way we were able to eat everything set in front of us.  It was a delightful way to spend the day.

Then, in the evening, we had a 60th birthday party to attend for a long time friend.  It was nice to catch up with people we don't get to see all that often these days.

On Sunday, we were back in the car and heading down to Hartley, on the eastern flank of the Blue Mountains, to visit their open gardens.  Some were absolutely delightful, where a couple were quite a disappointment, for the hype around them.
One of our favourites was "Serenity", which is owned and looked after by just one lady.  The name was very fitting.
She had some plants that she had propagated for sale and we brought home a rain lily.
"Hartvale" was beautiful.  This is a garden that is always open to visitors.  The amount of colour for this time of year was amazing.  It gave us inspiration of some additional plants to add to our garden.
There was a nice pottager garden with cute green house.
They also have a cottage that is an Air BnB let.  Wow!  I wouldn't mind staying there. The decor was fresh, yet with some rustic touches to give character.  One of the owners is an artist in oil paints and her works adorned the walls.
Looking from the sitting area to the bedroom section.
Imagine waking up to this view.  There is a full glass section in the wall.
The final of our favourite gardens we visited was at the historic "Harp of Erin" and featured cottage plants and sculptures.  I have never seen such a proliferation of dahlias.  It was so nice and colourful.

And that is it for another week.

Now to get busy and start some of that stitching I want to do.

13 comments:

Kate said...

Congratulations on the stitching time metrics, you've done really well this year. Love your garden photos. Looks like a very fun day out and about. I still struggle with the idea that as we move into spring, you are moving into fall. I know how it works, but I still just have to think for a minute on it.

Jenny said...

High Tea! That's my kind of outing. Such lovely gardens too. I'm very impressed with your gingham quilt. I've got the pattern printed and this is on my wish list to do sometime, it's such an effective pattern. Someone on blogland, can't remember who, made about 10 of these in a row, all different colour combinations for donation quilts a while ago.

loulee said...

Looks like you had a good week. I hope Monique plays nicely.
Lovely gardens.

Fiona said...

Getting to know Monique's quirks is getting there and you are getting the quilts finished. I love the little pink one with the gingham look to it.... Looking forward to seeing your table runner...
Hugz

Susan said...

Good to see you are mastering Monique.. the koala quilt looks really lovely and a great quilting pattern.
Love the gingham quilt and looking forward to the navy table runner.

The gardens that you showed were lovely...lots of work ion some bits I think.

Still waiting for a sign of Autumn here.

cityquilter grace said...

i think the navy/gray fabrics go nicely together....cute pink gingham! oh that BnB....i could crash there for sure....lovely photos...we of course are just into early spring and colors exploding everywhere finally!

jude's page said...

Some lovely photos of the gardens, and the BnB, good to see your progress on MOnique, sometimes they seem to try us out don't they?

Karen's Korner said...

Very "posh" at the Hydro. High tea looks delicious. I love visiting open gardens. You have plenty of projects to keep you busy in the sewing room. Looking forward to seeing what design you pick for the tablerunner. Nice choice of fabrics for it.

Raewyn said...

Plenty to see in this post Janice. Your baby quilts are a great way to master Monique. I love the gingham style quilt - an inspired selection of fabrics from your sewing group. And it looks like a lovely time visiting the gardens too, gorgeous B and B and so much flat land before you get to the mountains - I'm definitely not used to that sort of view!!!

Janet O. said...

I love the "gingham" look to the pink baby quilt. Very sweet.
The view (inside--food--and out) at the restaurant is pretty impressive.
One lady takes care of that garden?!?
That AirBnB would be an amazing getaway spot.

Maria said...

The quilting on the baby quilt looks great.
Lovely gingham quilt.
Beautiful gardens you visited .
Delicious high tea.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Just caught up on your posts, Janice. Beautiful posts and this one so enjoyable. Pretty pinks here and will make such a lovely little quilt. All the added to stash fabrics are wonderful. Imagine finding Liberty amongst them. That High Tea looks delicious; what a treat. You two do wonderful exploring together!

kiwikid said...

Beautiful baby quits, I hope Monique continues to play nice. You visited some beautiful gardens. The high tea certainly provided lots of food.