Sunday 18 September 2022

Off to See the Wizard - Kalbarri National Park - Part 1

I am starting to feel that I am getting sensory overload, with all the wonderful things to see as we travel down the West Australian coast.

Although Kalbarri is by the ocean, the main draw card is actually inland, based around the Murchison Gorge.  We spent a wonderful day exploring.  As I have mentioned, we visited here in 1997 and went out to the Gorge.  I really can’t remember much, except the stunning view over the gorge.  There are multiple lookouts, so I wasn’t sure which we had visited.
Our first stop was the famous Kalbarri Skywalk.  This only opened in 2020.  All I can say is “Wow”! There are two of these structures that extend over the gorge.
Mick was fascinated with the construction, seeing that is right up his alley, work wise.  I’m not good on ladders or climbing stairs where I can see between the treads, but this sort of thing doesn’t worry me in the least.  It was a very well done, as you cannot really see through the mesh floor in the centre of the structure.  There was no fear of it collapsing under us, as it has been engineered to support 1,000kg per square metre.
The view was worth seeing.
The obligatory photo to prove we were there.
There was 1,000 tonnes of sandstone excavated, which was then used to create all the landscaping in the area.  It really is a credit to the designers and builders.  It is stunning.
Even the paths had a theme of the Bemarra Serpent.
At the entrance there was an artwork in the path with many ways of saying for people to come together as one.  
There were sculptures of animals, including one prehistoric one.  I think this is the only way I will get to see a thorny devil.
Of course there were some wild flowers.

There is lots more to show, but the internet is slow here and it is bed time, so I will finish off soon.

3 comments:

loulee said...

Beautiful flowers.

Jenny said...

The skywalk over the gorge looks amazing, love the animal sculptures too. Sensory overload indeed. What you are seeing on your travels has been amazing.

jude's page said...

Love your wildflower photos