Saturday 27 August 2022

Off to See the Wizard - Broome Day 1

We had a rather lazy day yesterday.  After a leisurely start, we actually took the push bikes off the back of the van and went for a ride around the Cable Beach area.  I’ve learnt that the beach is named after the place where the undersea telegraph cable that connected Australia to Java (and the rest of the world) in 1889 came ashore.
How beautiful is that.  Every time I see it, I marvel at how blue the water is.
We had a nice morning tea overlooking the beach.
After which we went for a stroll along the white sand.
Of course you have to have an explore in the rocks. Not a real lot to see as the tide was fairly high.
I did find this little piece of coral.  I think it looks a bit like some gathered lace.
Here are the few little shells I found.
We spent most of the afternoon sitting in the shade back at the van.  The temperature was so nice.  Mick read and I stitched the final two block for my Blue Quilt.  There is still a tiny bit to complete, but I won’t do that until after I have completed the machine blanket stitch appliqué after we return home.  Therefore, I have now achieved my August goal for One Monthly Goal.  I’m pretty happy with that.
In the late afternoon we wandered back over to Cable Beach to watch the sunset.  We are lucky that the beach is an easy walk from the caravan park.  The tide had gone way out, but still was not at the low tide mark.  Lots of crabs had put their tiny balls of sand on the beach around their holes.
There were a few little molluscs slowly moving across the sand, leaving their tell tale trail.
The sun was getting lower, but still had a way to go before it set.
The lower end of the beach was full of 4WD vehicles that drove onto the beach for the sunset.  We were happy to be on foot, as we could wander around.  That is a bushfire in the distance creating all that smoke.
Other than the sunset, the most famous thing at Cable Beach is the sunset camel rides.  No, we didn’t have a ride, as we had enjoyed our ride out at Mundi Mundi Bash.  We just enjoyed watching them go by, creating that famous silhouette.

And the sunset……..
All I can say is “Wow”!  The sail boat and the little bit of cloud really made it special.
Another nice walk over the rocks that have been exposed by the low tide on the way back.
And the light softens over the water, now the sun has sunk below the horizon.

That was ‘another bloody sunset” worth sharing.

10 comments:

ButterZ said...

Cable Beach is such a beautiful spot. So relaxing.

Fiona said...

what a fabulous spot... I think I would do what you have done, walk along and enjoy it all...
Hugz

simplestitches said...

beautiful photos...on my very long bucket list!

loulee said...

A lovely spot to watch the sun going down.

kiwikid said...

What a beautiful beach and that sunset is stunning.

Jan said...

Beautiful! (adding it to my must see list) and your blocks are looking lovely.

Jenny said...

All I can say is wow I so want to do all that ... enjoy

Jenny said...

You've taken some lovely photos. Well done with the camel riders and the sail boat in the sun set. They are good enough to be printed and framed when you get home, I would think.

molly said...


Love those blue blocks, the sunset and the camel silhouettes....

jude's page said...

Yep, that sunset pic is certainly stunning!