Wednesday 1 June 2022

Welcome to Winter - The Perfect Time For Reading


Here we are, on the first day of winter, and there is snow on the hills in our district.  Rather a rude shock to the system. 
Don’t be fooled by the sunshine. It was freezing. Hopefully, it will be a bit warmer tomorrow, but they are predicting very wintry weather for the next week. It would have been a lovely day to be either sitting in front of the heater with some knitting or a good book or spending time in my sewing room, but instead I was at work in a nice warm office.

Speaking of books, I’ve very belatedly started to read the Elm Creek Quilt series of novels.  Of course there is a story behind this……
On our way to Scrub Stitchin’ we called in at an op shop in Coolah.  I always check out the craft book section to see if there are any treasures (usually not) and came across “The Quilter’s Apprentice”, filed in the incorrect section.  I hadn’t read any of the Elm Creek Quilt series, so bought it. 
I knew I did have two more of the series sitting in my bookcase at home, unread, so now was a good time to start on them.

I took them on holidays with me and read them all…… three books in three days. Firstly, “The Quilters Apprentice”, then “Round Robin” and thirdly “The Winding Ways Quilt”.  I thoroughly enjoyed them and can definitely see why they were so popular. A nice change from murder mysteries.  When we called in to see Jo, she showed me her complete collection and gave me the list of all the titles, so now I know what to keep my out for. I was happy to learn that I had actually read the first two books of the series, and in the correct order.
At the start of May our local Lifeline centre held their annual book fair.  We popped down early on the first day and there were so many books.  I couldn’t believe it, and they were very well set out.  I made a bee line for the “C” section of the general fiction and was delighted to find three more volumes of the series, one being a hard cover version containing three novels.
Each month one of my goals is to read at least one book.  It was the 29th of May and I still hadn’t read a book, so I started “Cross Country Quilters”, the third in the series, and had it read in two nights.  Yes, I’m a binge reader.  

I hope to have at least one read in June, but who, knows I may read more.  We’ll see.  Now I have some more books to keep an eye out for on our travels.  It’s always fun to have a challenge.

10 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

I started reading mine but never finished

loulee said...

You sure do chew up a book once you start.

Janet O. said...

Wow--you do get things read in a hurry!
I think I read the first three and then I went to one of her book signings and got a bunch more of them, but couldn't get into the next one I tried. After they sat for years I eventually donated them to a thrift shop. There is a book she wrote that isn't part of this series that I think I'd like to read, but haven't got my hands on it yet.

Jeanette said...

I'm the same with book reading. :) I hope you find the rest of the series as they are really lovely books. Hugs,

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Great finds! Our local Op shops seem to mainly have a lot of cookbooks, Tom Clancy or romance novels. Enjoy your collecting.

Fiona said...

They are a fun easy read ... I think I have read most of them borrowing from the library...

Hugz

ButterZ said...

I’m happy to help with the list. Hope you can collect them all.

Susan said...

I love the Elm Creek books - I do "sort of " own them - but they live at my friend's (Maureen) place - might be time for a re-read! and definitely best read in order.

dq said...

I read the first one and enjoyed it. I should get back to the series.

jude's page said...

I am with you, in that I read a book quickly. I have most of the Elm Creek books in my bookcase and enjoyed them.