Friday 3 June 2022

My Goals For June


We are, nearly half way through the year already, and I have entered my last month of paid employment.  It has been planned for a couple of years, but has come around so quickly this year.

As usual, I have set myself some goals for the month, which hopefully will be achievable.

Firstly, my stitching goals….

1.    ONE MONTHLY GOAL 
As I imagine this month will be a bit busy, once again, my goal is rather a simple one.  I have joined in with Chookyblue’s Churn Dash Stitch-a-Long.  To keep up to date I need to make 10 blocks each month.  
I have them cut out, so just need to get them pieced.  It would be nice to have more than ten completed, as we will be travelling for three months.  I will be taking my sewing machine and the uncompleted ones with me, but being ahead will be a good feeling.  We’ll see how we go.  So, my official goal for June is to complete eleven blocks. (There are 41 required, so I will get the extra one made this month.)
When I was visiting Mum the other day I noticed the last churn dash blocks I have made.  They are on the quilt I made for her bed.  The centre medallion and vine border are from a panel.  I’m pretty sure some of those fabrics are being included in my new churn dash quilt. And some of that very original patchwork fabric I bought in the early eighties featured in Mum’s quilt too.

2.    RAINBOW SCRAP CHALLENGE
The colour that has been nominated for June is dark and bright blue.  Firstly, I have pulled out the blue blocks for the churn dash, as that will tie in.  I will also complete my half square triangles for the black and white quilt.  There isn’t a great deal of 1930s dark blue fabric, so that makes my butterflies and nine patches a bit of a challenge.  However, I don’t need two blocks of each completed each month for the quilt, so will just see if I can make one butterfly and one nine patch.  We’ll see how we go.

3.    ONE PROJECT A MONTH
I’m not sure if I will have any finishes this month.  Something may sneak in, but it will be a surprise finish.

4.    FRIDAY NIGHT WITH FRIENDS
After saying I won’t commit to joining in, as tonight is the night, I’m quite confident of being in my sewing room and doing some sewing, while Mick watches the footy.

5.    KNITTING

Each year I seem to do a little knitting or crochet during the cooler months.  This year it is the beanie I’m knitting with some of Dad’s homespun wool.  I posted about it here.  Well, I knitted the ribbed cuff and thought it was going to be too small and was psyching myself to start again.  I decided to check it against another beanie I have and in the end I think it will be OK.  I like the natural colour shading in the yarn.
I have now started working the little checkerboard stripe.  Once that is done it should be much quicker knitting.  I really want to get this finished before we go away.

Sadly, I don’t think I will have any of my Natalie Bird Blue Quilt ready to take away with us, and Swoon and Twister will have to wait for us to get home later in the year for me to work some more on them.  They are still a WIP, not a UFO, as they are in the sewing room, ready to go.
Now for my non stitching goals.

1.    READ A BOOK

As I mentioned in my last post, I wish to read at least one more Elm Creek Quilt book.

2.    FRIDAY FUN DAY

We have a fun day out planned for Friday in two week’s time.  One I’m really looking forward to.

3.    TRY A NEW RECIPE

I have a new recipe pulled out to try tomorrow - something nice and wintry.

4.    HAVE A WEEKEND AWAY IN THE CARAVAN.

This won’t be happening.  We will be spending some time in the van, though.  We are giving it a really good clean and going through everything that is in there, getting ready for our big trip, leaving in early July. 

However, we do have a fun activity planned for the long weekend.

That little lot should keep me amused.  We will see at the end of the month how I went.

8 comments:

ButterZ said...

You still have such a lot planned and hopefully you can keep up. Enjoy what you can achieve.

Maria said...

You always have a great list for each month.
Really like the fabrics you’ve chosen for the Churn Dash SAL.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love this post with your wonderful goals so well articulated...I'm just flying by the seat of my pants here, LOL. Churn Dash is a wonderful block; lovely fabric pull there and good luck with the SAL. Your mom's quilt looks so pretty. Always intriguing to me how you are into your winter and we are getting our summer started.

dq said...

Great Churn Dash choices and goal for June! I love the one you made before. Thanks for sharing it.
I am excited to do this challenge but still deciding on the pattern and fabrics.

Janet O. said...

You have an ambitious list! I'll be cheering you on.
Since I am making the same amount of Churn Dash blocks for my quilt, I think it is a good idea to get the "eleven" out of the way this first month. I think I am on #4, so I'd better not slack off.
That is a beautiful quilt you had made for your Mum!~

Chookyblue...... said...

love the fabrics you chose for your churn dash blocks.....
the quilt you made your mum is beautiful........
OMG not long to go at work now.....goodluck.....

Jenny said...

You are always so good at making plans. Finishing up at work and heading away for several months in the caravan trip seems a great plan indeed. I'll be looking forward to reading all about your trip and adventures shortly.

jude's page said...

Another great list of goals to achieve, and how exciting to be preparing for a big trip.