Saturday 4 June 2022

OMG! One Monthly Goal Already Met

Knowing that I may be time poor at times this month, I got stuck into my churn dash blocks on Thursday night, while Mick was watching the footy.  As I announced, my goal this month was to complete eleven blocks, starting with the blue ones, so they would fit in with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge as well. 

I’m making nine inch blocks, using a different fabric for each of the forty one blocks.  To make it a bit easier, I cut them out a bit differently to the pattern Chooky distributed, starting with a strip 4 inches by 15 inches and then sub cutting into one piece 8 inches long and the other 7 inches.


Working in a production line speeded things up considerably. My first job on Thursday was to mark all my cutting lines for the half square triangles, followed by all the stitching.
When I went to get my thread and bobbin, I noticed I had three bobbins in my favourite colour with just a little bit left on them and no full ones.  I also noticed several other bobbins with just a little bit of neutral thread on them, so thought this would be a great project to use all those little bits up.  I’d already emptied a couple when I took this photo.
Once all my stitching was completed, it was time to do all the cutting to create the small sections of the blocks.  Then it was on to the ironing board to press all the seams - open for the HST and to the dark for the others.  

By the bed time I had all the blocks ready for the next stage.  I was very happy with my achievement.
Oh, and I emptied eight bobbins and one thread spool.  The thread spool emptied on the very last seam, with about six inches of thread left.  
Friday was Friday Night With Friends, hosted by Cheryll and for once I actually joined in.

The first job was to trim all those HST and set out the blocks ready to start stitching.

At Scrub Stitchin’ some of the girls were using the web method of joining blocks.  I tried it with my Twister Quilt and ended up in a right royal mess.  The trick is to stack the block components in their columns, whereas I have always stacked them in rows, hence my mess.  I thought a nine patch may be a bit easier to try this method for the first time, rather than joining 64 blocks in a quilt.
I’m happy to report it went well.

By bed time I had all the blocks completed.
They will look a bit brighter once I piece some of the other colours.
And I emptied a further two bobbins and one thread spool. Happy dance!

Seven blocks were blue for Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

I hope to make some more blocks, once a few of my other goals have been completed.
This morning I started to do some more knitting on my beanie.  The checkerboard is complete and back to just stocking stitch.  I thought my mug for morning tea was rather appropriate.

Having a look at my ball of wool, I realised there won’t be enough of the main colour left.  I thought I should have another ball of that or something very similar in my box and would blend the two.  When I had a look, there is only the remainder of the wool that Dad spun from a fleece we bought many years ago and it is much lighter in colour and thicker.  I will now have to wait until I pop over to visit Mum next week and see what she has in her box of bits and pieces of wool.  There should be something that works.  I’m guessing there may be some stripes involved. The main thing is to get something in the correct thickness.  A beanie was supposed to be a very simple and quick make.  It certainly hasn’t turned out that way.  No worries, it is all a part of the fun.

15 comments:

Jeanette said...

Pretty churn dash blocks. I see a few fabrics there that i have. :) Hugs,

ButterZ said...

Wow. You made great progress on your churn dash blocks. Good to see you tried the webbing technique and it actually helped. I am impressed. It’s great you have done your months work for churn dash. Maybe you should cheat and do next months too.

Chookyblue...... said...

congats they look great......
don't listen to Jo about.......

jude's page said...

Great progress with the Churn dash blocks, I better get a move on and find the fabrics that I know i have somewhere.

Maria said...

Well done Janice… your method looks great , will try it if I ever get my fabrics …..
Hope you find the right yarn to finish your beanie.

Annelein said...

Love the blocks you've made.

Kris said...

Wow!! Your Churn Dash blocks are beautiful!! You sure got them done quickly!! And how fun to use up your thread!! If you are like me, you'll still have thread when you turn 100 years!! LOL!!

loulee said...

You finished all eleven of your blocks? I didn't even finish cutting yet. I'd better get a move on.
They look lovely by the way. Hope you find the right yarn at mums.

Fiona said...

Oh well done you... a bit of an overachiever this month????? The blocks look great and I love the fabrics...
Hugz

Susan said...

MY word you are "Churning" through the Churn Dash blocks!
It is very satisfying to empty a spool - esp if you end up with 6" left!
Now you can have a bobbin filling session!

Hope you find enough of your "special" wool to finish the beanie.

Karen's Korner said...

You are on a roll....great work on the churn dash blocks. It is a nuisance being held up with the wool...hope you can find something suitable.

Cheryll said...

Who doesn't love a churn dash block. They also look wonderful in a quilt.
Thanks for stopping in for FNwF again xox

kiwikid said...

Beautiful Churn Dash blocks Janice, you have been super productive. I hope you are able to find the right wool. Interesting how straight forward projects throw up challenges from time to time.

dq said...

Very, very nice churn dash colors! I looked at patterns tonight and am narrowing down my plan. I hope to start this week.

Rose Marie said...

You have a nice collection of repro fabrics! Your churn dash blocks are coming along nicely.