Monday 11 April 2022

Scrub Stitchin' 2022 - Part 1

Mick and I have been so looking forward to travelling to Baradine for Scrub Stitchin'.  Me for the sewing and hanging out with the girls, and Mick to relax and do very little.  However, it nearly didn't happen, as the day before we were to leave started to feel unwell.  Fortunately, it wasn't Covid, just a nasty dizzy/vertigo headache.  A day of sleeping cleared it up......thank goodness.

We had a rather leisurely trip up on the Wednesday, stopping at various little towns for a wander up and down the street and a nice counter meal at a pub at Binnaway.
Finally, we arrived at Camp Cypress.  Most of the girls turned up on the Wednesday this year, so lots of time to spend together. I'm glad we went a day earlier than usual.  Once we were all settled in, we went to the pub for dinner together, with a couple of the hubbies tagging along as well, which was nice.

There were nineteen girls in attendance this year.  It didn't take us long to get started on our various projects. 

Chooky and I took our fabric for our twister quilts.  We invited everyone to join in on the fun using the Twister Ruler and Lil' Twister Ruler and several did.
I took along my original quilt, made back in 2012.  I never shared the finished product, so here it is.  There was a fun story about its origin, so pop over here, here and here to have a little read.

Jenny and I also had our table runners on show. 
Jenny's.
 Mine.

The room was decorated with some other quilts too. 
The three above are Chooky's.
The two above are Annette's.  The quilting on the Elizabeth Hartman quilt was perfect for the design.

Chooky, Jenny and Jo were organised with their Twister Quilts, having their squares cut out and arranged in their order before leaving home.  I just had mine cut out.
Jo is a speed demon with her sewing and had the grid of blocks together with their border in no time flat - on the Wednesday night!
My first project to work on was my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks.  I did get them completed on Wednesday night. Sorry about the shadows on the photos.

Thursday saw lots more progress.
Jenny had her twister grid stitched together on Thursday.  I love seeing the different colour combos.
I played with my William Morris quilt.  The story goes that back at our very first Scrub Stitchin' Dale had a bit of a destash.  I came home with some William Morris charm squares, as I rather like his designs.  I was wondering what to do with them and finally decided to set them with hourglass blocks, but what colour?  Our goodies bag that year was a terracotta colour and it looked rather good with the fabrics, so I went with terracotta and cream.  It took me until early this year to source some suitable fabric.

I made the hourglass blocks in January when visiting friends in Queensland.  It was fun to lay out the blocks and finally see it all come together.  
This is where I was up to by bedtime on Thursday.

When I came to a stand still with this quilt, due to the irons or design wall being used, I also worked on a Swoon block and was working on some half square triangles as leaders and enders.  Yep, multitasking at its best, with three projects on the go.
By the end of Thursday Georgina had finished putting this lovely quilt top together. She had previously made the hourglass blocks and nine patches.  I love the soft colours.
Jo had her twister quilt top put together.  What a wonderful use of colour.
Brenda decided to join in on the fun and made a little twister table runner.  By the end of the weekend it had been quilted and bound.

And that takes us up to the end of Thursday.

More soon.

16 comments:

ButterZ said...

Oh how amazing to see everyone’s beautiful work. It was so much fun finally meeting you all in person and sewing along..

Maria said...

Pleased you well enough to go to Scrub Stitching..
So many beautiful projects being worked on.
I can’t believe how much all the ladies get done….

loulee said...

Lovely to see what everyone was doing.
I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

Fiona said...

Love seeing all the different quilts....
Hugz

Michelle Ridgway said...

Wow! Amazing work by everyone...love your William Morris quilt. Big caravan tripping envy here...so glad you didn't have the plague and could go and have fun xx

Susan said...

What a great round up -- sound slike you were having fun & being productive - the twister quilts go together well.

Great work on your projects.

Jenny said...

Many beautiful quilts and lots of lovely ladies to spend time doing what we love.

jude's page said...

Lots of great quilts

Chookyblue...... said...

thankgoodness you were well in the end............what 6 twister quilts were started.......and 3 runners??? So pleased with mine.......they are all so different...well have to bring them all finished next year to see them together.........

Jindi's Cottage said...

It was so much fun to meet you "in real" (and Mick of course!)...loved seeing your projects come together...

cityquilter grace said...

omigosh all really pretty projects...so inspiring to get together with other quilters...

Jenny said...

Certainly a fun weekend away sewing, pleased you could go after feeling poorly to start. The RSC butterfly blocks look so pretty.

Karen's Korner said...

That is a very impressive "rig" that you have there. Lots of lovely projects underway.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad that your headache wasn't something worse and that it didn't prevent you from attending that wonderful event!! Looking forward to seeing more of the projects.

Raewyn said...

I thought I had commented here , but I haven't! So glad you were able to attend - that would have been a last minute worry, for sure. So fabulous seeing what you all got up to. I have a twister ruler (a mini I think) so I must pull it out and use it before SS next year!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Fun gathering, and beautiful quilts! I love your pink RSC butterflies ;)