Tuesday 12 April 2022

Scrub Stitchin’ 2022 - Part 2

Friday dawned fine, but with clouds in the distance. We were destined to get a little bit of rain, but not too much.
As usual, the grevillias were gorgeous.

Inside, we continued to be rather productive.
Jenny had her Twister Quilt top together.  Another wonderful colour combination.

Each year we have a project provided.  This year’s was a little different.

We received a timber pincushion base and fabric, thread and stuffing to make the pincushion.  They came in various sizes, small, medium or large.  There was a Japanese style patterned fabric, a plain indigo and thread that could be used for Sashiko stitching if you wish.  I received the large size.  I have decide to use the patterned fabric and make a pincushion to sit on Monique my Q’Nique quilting machine.  I didn’t make a start, but will endeavour to have a completed pincushion for show and tell next year. 
It didn’t take me long to add the borders to my William Morris quilt top.  All the fabrics came from stash.  I don’t know what I will do with this quilt, but for now it will be the start of my “To Be Quilted” pile for when I get game enough to quilt an actual quilt with Monique.
Meanwhile, my Swoon block was progressing in the background and before long was completed too.  There was quite a bit of unpicking along the way on this.  Maybe I was talking and not really concentrating too much.  Only two more blocks to put together now.
Finally, I made a start on my Twister Quilt.  The design wall wasn’t large enough to lay out the blocks, so I took it over to our caravan and used the design bed.  I only had seven fabrics and had eight blocks of each, so there was no way it could successfully be made a random design, so diagonal stripes it is.

While I was playing with my projects there was also some other lovely things being created.  Di has found a love of machine embroidery and has completed this gorgeous bookcase wall hanging reflecting interests and books that are relevant to her.
Gail was working on putting together a quilt top she started many years ago.
It is a Red Brolly design and her stitching is so perfect.
Productive Jo was working on some more of her clever placemats using the RSC colour of pink.
Lea spent plenty of time pondering the layout of this stunning quilt before finally stitching the blocks together.  All those curves - I’m impressed.

When you cut out the twister blocks the second time you actually get quite a bit of wastage with your fabric.  Jo wondered what she could do with them.  I then produced a tiny twister ruler I had made out of template plastic that works with three inch squares.  I was rather surprised when she had her grid of small squares sewn together ready to tackle the tiny version.
She decided it would be tempting fate to use a rotary cutter so traced them out before cutting with scissors.  This is where she was up to when I went to bed on Friday.
And this is where I was up to.  I ended up with all my twister blocks cut out for the second time.

Obviously, there were other other lovely projects on the go, I just didn’t get to take photos of them.

11 comments:

Maria said...

It’s just amazing how much all the ladies get done especially Jo.

loulee said...

Lots of lovely inspirational photos.

Susan said...

More great projects happening.

Jenny said...

A lovely post Janis you achieved so much. i really enjoyed catching up on the weekend.

Fiona said...

great to see some of the lovely projects

Hugz

jude's page said...

Those twister quilts look amazing, especially Jo's tiny one, must make one "oneday"

Chookyblue...... said...

so many lovely projects on the go..........

Jindi's Cottage said...

What a great idea to lay out your patches out on the caravan "design" bed! Seeing all the different projects everyone was doing was such fun...

ButterZ said...

It was good to be sewing the same project with a few others. And to see the different variations was interesting. Beautiful work everyone.

ButterZ said...

It was so much fun making the twister even though my back didn’t like all the cutting out. Thanks for the mini idea.

Raewyn said...

I do love your Swoon blocks. I hear they sometimes do involve a little unpicking but so worth it! Such lovely work. Thanks for taking plenty of photos!