Monday 4 April 2022

My Goals for April

Well, here we are in April and the weather is starting to feel somewhat autumnal.  Daylight saving has come to an end, so the mornings are lighter, but the earlier evenings are quite noticeable. Temperatures are dropping, with it only being 2 degrees C this morning.  The frost sensitive pot plants have been moved to the greenhouse and it won't be too long until our veges get pulled out for the season.  Trees are starting to develop their coloured leaves, with some dropping already.  I still have to get out at a nice time to take some photos of our street trees, which have grown so much since we moved here six  years ago.

Anyway, the main topic of this post is my goals for the month.  As usual, the aim is for them to be achievable.  This will be another very busy month for us, so my goals will be quite simple.

To start with, here are my stitching goals:

We will be heading off to Baradine on Wednesday to attend this year's Scrub Stitchin' retreat.  By arriving on Wednesday there will be three whole days of stitching.  I have several projects packed, and am sure that a lot won't even get touched, but I certainly won't run out of things to do.

Mick is coming along as well and we are taking the caravan.  It is a nice relaxing weekend for Mick and I think he will be attending a clearing sale with a couple of mates.  

I shared this photo last month.  The plan is to turn this pile of fabric into a quilt top using the twister ruler.  I have already cut the ten inch squares and the first border.  I need to play with a layout, before stitching together, cutting apart and stitching together again.  The fabric includes second and third borders, backing and binding.  I do not intend to get it quilted as yet.  It will go in the pile for when I am game to actually quilt a quilt with Monique the Q'nique quilting machine.

The colour this month is pink.  I have cut out my blocks, fused my applique butterflies and will do all the stitching at the retreat.

I already have one finish - my "Make It" swap gift for retreat.  Obviously not pics until it has been revealed.  I'm not sure if there will be any further finishes.  We'll see.

FRIDAY NIGHT WITH FRIENDS
I signed up to take part in this on Friday and once again failed to work on anything.  For some reason, I just never feel like stitching on a Friday night, so from now on will not worry about joining in.  I'll just cheer the other girls on from afar.

And that is all I will put as goals.  I'm sure I will have a couple of other fun things to share after Scrub Stitchin', but we'll just wait and see how much gets achieved.  I can't wait.

My other goals are pretty much the usual as well.

1.    READ A BOOK
Unlike last month when I didn't read any novels, I read this one completely on the first of the month.  Mick and I helped with the church fete, and during set up I noticed this book, which sounded intriguing.  Therefore, I proceeded to read it in pretty much one sitting.

The story goes that a young lady, who is at uni and has a crush on her boss, who doesn't appear to notice her, has to return home to her small town when her grandmother, who raised her, has fallen ill.  Her grandmother has a vintage clothing store, and her granddaughter steps in to run the store, despite having no real interest in vintage fashion.  She discovers that her grandmother has been writing stories of some of the garments in her store from the point of view of that garment. It is lighthearted and a nice change from murder mysteries.

Hopefully, I will get to read at least one other book this month.

2.    TRY A NEW RECIPE

While we were setting up the church fete, we sat down for morning tea and one of the ladies had provided a nice cake, with an unusual ingredient.  She has given me the recipe and I have bought the secret ingredient.  Now I just have to find the time to make the cake.

3.    HAVE A FRIDAY FUN DAY

There won't be a stand alone Friday Fun Day, but we will be having fun on several Fridays.

4.    HAVE A WEEKEND AWAY IN THE CARAVAN
    
Yes, Baradine for Scrub Stitchin'.  Not only, but also, we will be having another trip in the van, hence the lack of stitching anticipated during the month.

I'm looking forward to a fun month and hope to report back at the end of the month with lots of goals achieved.

7 comments:

Maria said...

Safe travels and enjoy Scrub Stitching retreat …
Look forward to seeing what you’ve made especially the Twist quilt with those gorgeous fabrics.

Karen's Korner said...

Some great goals there. That looks an interesting and unusual read. The seasons are definitely changing...it is nice to have the lighter mornnings but the nights are noticeably darker. I find it takes a couple of days to learn the position of the sun again and adjust my waking time. Safe travels and enjoy the retreat. Looking forward to hearing and seeing photos about it.

loulee said...

It sounds like a fun month is planned. Enjoy Scrub Stitchin'.

Jenny said...

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time at Scrub Stiching. It's great that Mick is going too, he will have his own little adventure no doubt as well. I'm intrigued, what secret ingredient? Be sure to reveal all when you get to baking that cake. I think it's a great idea to try new recipes, must try to do that too.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Janice hope you and Mick have an amazing time away in your caravan .
Hope you achieve all your goals ,looking forward to seeing your progress and your book looks interesting,safe travels lovely lady 💕🤍💕

dq said...

Now that is a very intriguing story about dresses. I may have to look for that book.

Your fabric stack is delicious! It will be fun to see what it becomes. I wonder what stories fabric medleys could tell? Perhaps it would be rather boring considering they sit together for years waiting for us to sew them into something.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Enjoy your retreat. I'm sure you will have a fab time....ohhhh 2 degrees! Look forward to see your retreat stitching x