Saturday 1 July 2023

It’s Been Twelve Months

I can’t believe that my last day of paid employment was twelve months ago today!!!! How quickly the time has flown.

So, it is time to reflect on the last year and the major change in our lifestyle.

Starting our big 12 week trip up through the centre of Australia and down the west coast was the best way to start our non working life.  It was just like going on a holiday rather than leaving work, but was a great distraction to get work out of our heads.

When we returned home in early October it was like the start of our retirement.  It didn’t take us long to get into a more leisurely routine, although it did take Mick a while to realise that a job didn’t have to be completed in double quick time, as there was no customer to keep happy.  He could start to pace himself.  

We definitely don’t miss that 5.30am alarm clock each day.  I sleep a lot better, as I used to lie awake thinking about work quite a bit.  I don’t miss that stress at all.

I was starting to feel a little lost at around Christmas, but in the new year I joined my two stitching groups and we started to learn to play lawn bowls.  Now our weeks are nice and full.

Mick has been restoring a motorcycle, a job that keeps on growing.  His shed has never been tidier and he has been spending lots of time in the garden, which he really enjoys.

I have been playing in my sewing room, achieving much more than I used to, but still have loads more that I want to do.  I do tend to fiddle fiddle around quite a bit, without being productive.

Of course, we have enjoyed being out and about, both locally and heading off with the caravan.  Being able to go places mid week, without the crowds has been a wonderful change.

You hear people wonder how they found time to go to work and we have now reached that point.  Mind you, we are not rushing anything.

Life in definitely good, and no, we don’t miss work.

7 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

love the butterfly quilt...wow a whole year...it has gone fast it seems...with fun hobbies it's easy to replace work time and all that comes with it with other things..does make you wonder how you ever had time to work...LOL...hoping good health stays with you so you can enjoy the years to come..

Susan said...

Time does go quickly doesn't it?? I feel a bit the same - especially the "how they found time to go to work" bit. But its pretty obvious you have found your pace and that you are both relishing it. Certainly hear you about the Work Worry keeping you awake.

Maria said...

You’ve both settled into retirement well and keep busy doing the things you enjoy….

Fiona said...

A wonderful start to yours and Micks retirement....
Hugz

dq said...

Retirement life sounds amazing. I am so happy for you two. I get an inkling of it every summer when school is out. Oh to live that all the time and to be able to take a 12 week vacation with your sweetheart - some day.

You two go for it!

jude's page said...

It sounds wonderful.

Chookyblue...... said...

Sure sounds great.......I could sleep better I'm sure without my town job...