Tuesday 25 April 2023

Scrub Stitchin’ - Part 3

Sadly, from Friday I didn’t get to participate very much in the event, but was still very much included. More borrowed photos in this post.

Saturday is usually the big day, but this year was brought forward to Friday.  
Firstly, the official group photo.  I am there, just tucked so well over the back that I can’t be seen.
Then all the girls that join in with the Chookshed Stitchers Zoom sewing sessions. Isn’t it amazing that we can all stitch and chat together and now so many of us actually be together.

Then it was show and tell.  I love show and tell, so was able to watch from the back door.  I’ll just put a couple up here.  My quilts were obviously held up by others.
I took my Trail Mix along, as Deana together with Holly from Canada were the ladies who inspired me to make it.  Gail has now made a version too.
Here is where I was up to with my Moda Love.  It turned out just how I had hoped. Still that final little border to be added.
As part of Chooky’s quilt along I made the Churn Dash top last year.  Still to be quilted.
There were other Churn Dash quilts on show as well.  Here they all are together.  I love that there is such a variety of interpretations to this block, its layout and the colours.
Jo shared her two Bonnie Hunter mystery quilts that Judy returned to her after quilting.  
There is so much piecing in these.  Stunning.  Now Jo has the task of binding them, and they are rather large.
Di shared a beautiful quilt she has recently gifted.
The masterpiece of the day was Maureen’s.  So much needle turn applique. It is absolutely beautiful and I love the background fabrics which make it rather unusual.  I really take my hat off to her. 
The other masterpiece on display was Sylvia’s quilt that was hanging on the wall.  Also with lots of appliqué and hand work.  You can see it hanging on the wall behind Lou’s shoulder in this photo of Lou and Raelene. 
Not part of show and tell at the time, but Lou’s achievement over the weekend to piece most of her Tula Pink Anchor quilt was fantastic.  I love it in the muted tones.  They really suit the design.
That evening was the main dinner, where the theme was “What Australia Means to Me”.  
I believe there were some rather creative outfits and the room was nicely decorated.
I had my dinner over at the van, sitting under the awning in the beautiful evening.  I still made the most of it.  Miranda had kindly brought over a small vase of flowers for the table.  I had been planning to dress up as a swaggy, and rather felt like one, as I went to the kitchen door to receive my dinner to take back to the van.
After dinner there was the “Make It, Bake It, Fake It” gift swap.  I had made an EPP coathanger cover.
It went to Gail.
I had been given my gift in the afternoon.
Once it was opened it became apparent that it came from Raewyn.  The chocolate fish was a dead giveaway.  Thanks Raewyn.  This will be such a handy little pouch to take to my stitching days, with all its little pockets.  I love the fabric, which just happens to suit my sewing room.

Saturday, saw me continue to remain over at the van, doing a little bit of EPP and knitting, but generally just relaxing in the sun.  Several of the girls popped over to visit, at a distance, which was lovely.
Sylvia popped over and gave me this cute snail pincushion.  
Mick cooked some corned silverside in the camp oven that night, which was really tasty.

Sadly, others succumbed to COVID as well and started to head home on Saturday.  We headed off on Sunday morning, Mick and I in the ute and Lou and Tony in my car.

It wasn’t how I had hoped to spend my time at Scrub Stitchin’, but it was still a fantastic event.  Chooky has to be congratulated on all her hard work and handling the unexpected without any fuss.  The highlight was, of course, having the international girls attend and subsequently some Aussie girls attend, that may not otherwise have.  We had participants from New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Queensland.  Not a bad effort for little Baradine, who most people haven’t heard of or don’t know where it is.

I can’t wait till 2024, under better circumstances.

5 comments:

Susan said...

So disappointing for you.

I haven't seen any pics of Sylvias' quilt either - though I expect Chooky would have one,
that was a big job to bring it - considering luggage restrictions etc.

Chookyblue...... said...

made the most of a bad situation.....I got to pretend I had a finished churn dash quilt.......lol......lovely to see them all together........
I didn't know you got a vase of flowers also......lucky you.....
the swaps were great too......I know Sylvias quilt is in a photo that I have just not the quilt on it's own.......

kiwikid said...

It was a fantastic time Janice despite the virus and early leaving. So good to meet everyone once again and see the overseas girls. Show and tell was amazing.

Karen's Korner said...

Just catching up on your last couple of posts. So sorry to hear that you could not join in for the entire SS. Looks like you made the best of the situation.

Raewyn said...

I so agree, it was the best time, in spite of the virus. It was amazing meeting everyone, and so cool what everyone sewed. Glad you liked the gift hehe thank you I have stolen the photos from you. The coathanger you made was a real sweetie.