Sunday 8 January 2023

What I’ve Been Up To

It’s been a rather leisurely start to the New Year, but I still have achieved a little in the sewing room.  At least 15 minutes has been spent each day, although some days it was only just 15 minutes.
I am making slow progress on my sock, only doing a bit while watching the cricket and while joining in briefly with a  Chookshed Zoom get together.  I am now up to knitting the heel flap and have to have another look at the YouTube tutorial again before proceeding. I was attempting to have the stripes match, but ended up being one stripe out.  There are only two of the dark grey stripes in the cuff of the other one.  I could have started again fairly early on, but couldn’t be bothered.  They will not be seen all that much anyway.
My black and white RSC blocks have now been stitched into four patches.  The four patch blocks probably won’t be stitched together like this, rather they will have a mix of colours in the centre when joined into a large block.
Shock, horror…….I have my Swoon quilt top together.  I’m glad to have that ticked off the list.  However, I will now prepare the binding to keep with it, which will mean I can put the left over background fabric into stash to use elsewhere.  The top will be put in the “To be Quilted Queue” for when I am game to quilt it with Monique.  Being 80 inches square, that may be a while.  No matter, the pattern and fabrics have been sitting, waiting patiently, since early 2015, so a little longer won’t be an issue.
In the garden, we picked our first little tomato at the start of the month. Now that the plant is netted against the blackbirds we are getting a couple each day.
We have oodles of zucchini coming along, providing plenty for us and the neighbours.  The large one hid and ended up growing under the garden edging, hence the marks.  We have been having zucchini and corn fritters, zucchini on the barbie and zucchini slice.  More slice will be made tomorrow, which is stocking the freezer for when they have finished.
We are also now picking plenty of beans, once again stocking the freezer.  

It looks like we won’t be getting any raspberries this year, unlike the massive harvests we have had the last couple of years.  The plants were very matted after last year’s harvest, so Mick removed them all and replanted some.  They have come up, but not done anything much. We expect things will be back to normal next year.
I took this photo the other morning.  I thought the light made this part of the garden rather pretty.
On a more mundane side of things, I have been cleaning and decluttering our home office.  It had become a dumping ground and I therefore rarely even went in there.  After much sorting and chucking it looks much better. Not perfect, but manageable.  Now the challenge will be to keep things up to date and tidy. The recycle bin is rather heavy this week.
Finally, I have been getting up early most mornings and going for a walk.  Surprisingly, we have had a couple of foggy mornings.  I even joined in a Chookshed Zoom get together while walking one morning.  Something different.
The weather continues to be a little crazy.  It is storm season and we have had a couple of storms, yielding half an inch each time, which has been welcome for the garden.
We have had a few days into the low 30s C, but on Thursday the temperature only reached 19 degrees C.  That’s not summer weather.  The next couple of days are forecast to be back into the low 30s C, so a bit more summery.

I will be linking up to So Scrappy for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Life in Stitches for 15 minutes a day and Elm Street Quilts for One Monthly Goal (at the end of the month).

Now to see what I can get done next week.

16 comments:

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Great RSC block, Janice!!! I enjoyed seeing your other projects and the garden, too! Very pretty hydrangea!

Kate said...

You had a busy and productive week in and out of the sewing room. I like your RSC block for this year. Congrats on moving Swoon along, that's a pattern that has been on my to make list for years. Your version turned out beautifully. And congrats on tackling your office. Ours is also a dumping ground, I've started, but haven't finished it yet. It is a massive undertaking. Happy stitching this week and thank you for linking up this week with 15 minutes to stitch.

Maria said...

You’ve made a great start for the year.
Well done getting Swoon together.
Is the B/W with the blue centre your RSC block for this year?
Looks like cold morning walks.

Susan said...

The blue & black & white block looks great - even if you dont keep it that way!
Great work on Swoon.
I can see a few full recycling bins at my place over the coming months. .bit by bit.

cityquilter grace said...

oooh summer looks so good...one thing i do with zuke is cut in chunks, add some chopped red onion, cut up tiny tomatoes add ital seasoning, olive oil and roast...can eat as side or on pasta...toss with parm when done....mmmm good!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I'm a big fan of black and white quilts. Your addition of a bullseye of color makes the block so bright and cheery. It will be fun to experiment with whether you want to stay with a single color or go for a more scrappy look, by "shuffling" the colors. I do love the all blue look.

Karen's Korner said...

The sock is progressing nicely and well done on getting Swoon together. I love getting up early during the summer - the air seems so much fresher. Your garden is producing well. Nothing like a good clean out and tidy up. I did that when we moved and was shocked at the amount of "accummulation" that was heaved out.

Jenny said...

You have been doing very well, what with getting on with the second sock, and black and white patches. Bounty from the garden is always so satisfying, and good on you getting up early for a walk!

Fiona said...

I do love your RSC block idea... yay. there are so many lovely ones I want to do them all.
Hugz

Jan said...

Love the Swoon quilt, the blocks are lovely. We've been walking again this week in the mornings, its so nice to get out early each day.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Very nice RSC block and congrats on your Swoon flimsy. Quite a bounty from your vehie patch and such a pretty shot of your hydrangeas. Certainly is crazy weather....always feels good tomhave a declutter x

loulee said...

You've been busy. Love the RSC blocks. Lovely scenic shots on your morning walks.

Susan said...

What fun to see your projects. I hadn't decided on my RSC block, but I like this one and am doing another black/white project, so I might borrow your idea - well, steal it, as I wouldn't be giving it back. =) The pictures of your garden and your neighborhood are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing someplace my eyes will never see on their own.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fun RSC block you've chosen, Janice, and congrats on finishing up that lovely quilt top!!

Raewyn said...

Lovely to see your Swoon quilt together! A lovely newsy post. Our temperatures aren't always being very summery either but I am actually quite enjoying them!

dq said...

Your garden is lovely as well as your RSC block and Swoon, ofcourse.