Tuesday 10 January 2023

Colour Catchers Really Work

I finally got around to washing some Christmas table linens and was really worried about the red fabrics possibly bleeding.

First load was darkish colours with no white fabric.  I popped a colour catcher in with the wash and it came out rather dark red, as could be expected.
Next load had a fair bit of white so I popped in a colour catcher, then for good measure a second one.  What the heck, better safe than sorry, pop in a third.
Look how they came out!!!  OMG!!!  I think the colour mainly came out of the black, cream and red table runner, but the white and cream fabrics had not turned pink.  I’m so pleased I added the three.
After that effort, it was time for the final load, which had a lot of white.  As there were only two items, I just popped in two colour catchers.
Yep, the colours ran in these as well.  Once again, the white remained white. 

Thank goodness for colour catchers.  Otherwise, I think all the items would probably be ruined. Now I just have to always remember to use them when washing these items.  Also, I have a quilt made from the black and cream with a narrow border of the red spot, so will have to be very mindful of that when I wash it.

12 comments:

Maria said...

I LOVE colour catchers…. I also popped two in when washing mine Christmas washing and they looked like yours. Wasn’t the first time they were washed either. I also often pop one in my normal wash.

Susan said...

Greatest thing ever invented for saving quilts!

loulee said...

I use colour catchers a lot, went through a whole box freshening up the Christmas stuff and Tony got a bright red t shirt for Christmas. I need to buy more.

Jenny said...

Isnt that interesting. I must admit I never use colour catchers, perhaps I should buy some.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Colour catchers are such magical things.

Michelle Ridgway said...

They sure did an excellent job....I have never tried them x

Cheryll said...

They are great... I never wash a quilt without a few in the tub.

Karen's Korner said...

They are best invention since sliced bread.

kiwikid said...

I need those here, I have pink socks these days!! Well done to keep everything looking great.

Susan said...

That’s amazing…..glad they did the job!

Raewyn said...

Great results! I always use colour catches and have found a combination of a certain washing liquid plus the catchers works really well for me...I had some bleeding when I tried a different detergent so quickly went back to my initial combination and the problem was fixed!!

dq said...

I have not used color catchers. They certainly must work well. I use a liquid product called Synthrapol.

Great comments here as well on this topic.