Sunday 8 August 2021

Friday Night With Friends and The Things That You Find

As I had picked up my Jocelyn Proust quilt from my quilting fairy on Thursday I knew what I would be working on.
I trimmed the extra fabric from around the edges, attached the binding by machine and settled in to hand stitch the binding to the back of the quilt.  However, after just a few needles full of thread my eyes were starting to get tired, due to the dark coloured thread matching the fabric so well.  

I then did a tiny bit of one of my Christmas stitcheries.

Yesterday, I settled myself into my chair to continue stitching down the binding.  I was going well, until a little friend decided that he just had to sit on my lap.  That was not going to work at all while I was stitching the quilt.  There was nothing else for it, but to switch projects again.
Joey was very settled on my lap and I did make quite a bit of progress on my stitchery.  Sadly, the quilt still needs quite a bit of its binding to be stitched down.  I think I will have to sit at a table to work on it.


Now, on to " The Things That You Find".....

On Friday, Mick and I popped into a couple of op shops in the eternal quest to find the replacement orange spotty mug.....no mug was found.  

But.....

Of course I have a little look in the craft section to see if there is anything interesting.  

Vinnies have had some patchwork fabrics packaged up for $10 a bag for the last few weeks.  The fabrics are very dated and they are generally a scrap bag.  I think they are overpriced for what they are and where they are.  I've had a little chuckle, when each time I pop in, they are still there.  This week, yes, they were still there, and more as well.  Of course I had a little look through and shook my head, as usual.

Until I spied this package.....
I caught a glimpse of the fabric at the back and couldn't believe my eyes.  Oh my goodness!  Suddenly, $10 didn't seem so bad.  So, why the excitement?
This is the fabric that I am using on my Garden Trellis Quilt that has been sitting in the wings since 2005, waiting patiently for me to make, and I have pulled out to work on this month.  I had less of the fabric than the pattern suggests, so was going to have to be very careful with my cutting, or shrink the size of the blocks.  There is a metre of the fabric here, so now I have plenty.  I bought this fabric in 2005. What are the chances of finding some more after all this time.  I'm one very happy camper.

By the way, re my previous comments about the price of these packs of fabric.  They really are beautifully presented.  Everything is nicely pressed and neatly packaged.  If they weren't like this they would be a muddled mess.  When you think of what we now pay for a fat quarter, they are pretty good value and would be good for adding to a stash, but that is definitely not something that I need to do. I hope some others also find a treasure among them.

7 comments:

kiwikid said...

Joey had other ideas about you getting your binding sewn down didn't he! You have made good progress on your stitchery. That was a great find with the fabric, and you are right it is beautifully presented.

Maria said...

So have you got the binding sewn down now? It was much easier to do your stitchery with sweet Joey sitting on your knee.
What a fabulous find….

loulee said...

Joey is just making sure that you don't strain your eyes! LOL
Great score at Vinnies.

Fiona said...

Lovely that the binding has started!!! woohoo even with interuptions.
I'm amazed at the fabric find... it was meant to be...
Hugz

Cheryll said...

WoW... great find...& good luck with your binding finish...xox

Karen's Korner said...

What would the chances of finding that fabric be...your lucky day. The binding will be waiting for you just where it was left until you are ready. Cute stitchery.

jude's page said...

Glad you found the perfect fabric and good luck getting that binding completed.