Sunday 20 December 2020

It's Not Long Until Christmas

Christmas isn't far away and I can't believe how quickly it has snuck up on us this year.  The fact that we ran away in our caravan for ten days at the start of the month may have something to do with us being a bit out of whack.

We did put up our outside Christmas lights before we left, as our street should be renamed "Christmas Street" for the month of December. Most of the houses put on a bit of a light display with a couple going all out. This year there were more than ever.  We added timers to our lights for when we were away, and it certainly makes things easier.
We are the first house you see, and just give a little taste of what is to come. 
We didn't put the tree up until we returned home and I threw as many lights as I could at it, and I must say it does make quite an impact.  This photo doesn't do it justice.
The little wreath is nice and colourful.
These are just a few houses in our neighbourhood.  This one, a few of doors up from us regularly wins a prize.
All these are within walking distance from home.
We do enjoy going for a walk around to see them.  It is quite social, with lots of people out and about, although the weather has been quite cool, so not as many out as usual.

Inside, we have made a few subtle changes to our decorations this year, adding a few of my creations from during the year.
I bought a mini quilt hanger during lock down and hadn't done anything with it.  I found my little mini Santa quilt that I finally finished back in January.  It is a bit big for the hanging rail, but I had added two little triangles to the back corners for a dowel, and very happily they fit perfectly over the outer corners of the frame.  It was meant to be.  He fits in nicely in the entry foyer.
My new twisted table runner I made in March goes nicely on our dining table.
Our little truck has its Christmas tree again.
When we were away I found a little vintage nativity scene in an op shop (the one in the centre). It was a nice addition to my tiny collection of them.  It is a duplicate of one I already had, but my old one had a couple of the figures broken off.
Of course, our twig tree showcases my collection of handmade and very special decorations.
In pride of place is this beautiful beaded decoration made by Loulee and just arrived yesterday, after an anxious wait, as it was posted in November.  It is so detailed. No wonder she was making these at one a month.  Very special.
There were also a few of these sweet decorations featuring the Legs of Man and Manx Tartan ribbon and some with a Manx cat.  As I told her, you can never have too many Isle of Man decorations on your Christmas tree.
When I was decorating the tree I realised, after having hung all the lights and started on the decorations, that I had forgotten to put the tinsel on the tree.  I wasn't going to start again, so this year there is no tinsel.  It still looks fine, with all the decorations, and especially at night with the lights on.
Just a slight change to the mantle this year.
Of course, we had to hang the new bunting I made. One string on the sewing room doors.
The other about the back door. They fit well. Yes, I've just noticed looking at this photo, that it is hanging lop sided.  I'll have to fix that when I finish here.
On an aside, we picked our first tomatoes yesterday.  It's always the aim to have tomatoes by Christmas in this neck of the woods, but rarely achieved.  The large tomatoes still have a long way to go, but we will take this victory.  The yellow ones are lovely and sweet.  They went well with our breakfast.

5 comments:

Maria said...

There are many beautifully decorated houses for you to enjoy and your home is looking very festive ....
Have a lovely Christmas 🎄

loulee said...

Wow, it's all looking very festive.
The lights along your road look great too.
I got faster at making those ornaments as the year went on. LOL

Fiona said...

Your home is looking lovely and Christmassy.....
Hugz

kiwikid said...

Your decorations should look wonderful Janice, it is so special to have Christmas lights to go and look at. Nice to see the houses lit up.

Chookyblue...... said...

Christmas looks beautiful in your house and street... I missed them all in town this year. Didn't have a late night. A Few events got cancelled. Our office was off the rictor.... It looked amazing in side.