Sunday 5 April 2020

More COVID-19 Chronicles

I'll continue to document what we get up to during this enforced time at home.  I must say, at the moment we are enjoying the downtime.  It will be interesting to see how long it takes for us to go stir crazy.

FRIDAY EVENING


Friday evening was "Friday Night With Friends" hosted by the lovely Cheryll.  I had grand plans on getting lots of stitchery completed on my Happy Thoughts mini quilt.  Well, I stitched the stem in the top corner and the stems on the flowers.  I wasn't happy with my leaves - they look rather insipid next to the stem stitch and the crime TV shows we were watching on the ABC were rather enthralling, so I didn't do any more.  Quite a meagre effort, but better than none, I suppose.  I have now finished the tendrils and other leaf outlines.  I will endeavour to add some texture to the leaves today and I'll be much happier with them.

The first block from "Love & Hugs From Australia" was released.  I think these will be rather lovely.  I have printed out the pattern, but haven't done anything with it yet.

SATURDAY

The only update on COVID-19 to affect us was the announcement that Coles and Woolies will now be limiting the number of people within their stores at any one time, particularly in the lead up to Easter next weekend.

We received the forecast rain late on Friday and early on Saturday, including a rather heavy shower on Saturday morning.  All up, we received 41mm.  The ground was rather squelchy under foot.  We don't think that has happened since 2016.


Everything looked so clean and shiny once the sun came out.


The day ended up being nice and fine.  The forecast winds picked up in the afternoon, bringing with them a cold front.  It was a great washing day.


We spent quite a bit of time in the garden in the morning, picking zucchini, button squash, eggplant, beans and raspberries.   The raspberries are really enjoying the rain, producing beautiful plump fruit.  The rainbow chard is now ready to use as well.


The beans have come to an end, so the plants got removed and added to the compost bins.


They have now been replaced by shallot and rocket seeds.  Hopefully they will grow OK and we are not too late.


As I wandered around the garden I noticed the first tiny violet flower for the season.  The windflowers have also suddenly shot up and started to flower.  I'm glad I took this photo in the morning, as by the afternoon they were rather battered by the wind.  Our daphne is flowering nicely. I'm not sure it is supposed to be flowering now, but we will enjoy it.  A couple of weeks ago we planted some white jonquil bulbs that we had bought down at the Cherry Festival at Young.  They have already started to poke their heads out.  I'm looking forward to their blooms during winter.

We are continuing to get some beautiful dahlia blooms and the tweedia is flowering, with its unusual blue flowers.  A grevillia is just starting to put on a show and our indigo continues to delight.  I'm quite surprised at how much colour we are seeing at the moment.  It's so nice to be at home to enjoy it all.


Quilting Orchardist shared a recipe for Chewy Fruit Slice the other day.  It sounded rather nice, and once again, I had all the ingredients to hand, so made it for afternoon tea.   The best thing is that it takes plain flour, as I have plenty of that, and not too much S.R flour left, although I know I can improvise. You have to taste a square as soon as it is cut, just to make sure it is OK.  It was.  I'm looking forward to being able to pack some with my lunch......if there is any left.  Thanks for sharing.

We headed up the country road for our daily walk.


As we left home we noticed the perfect mushroom in our front lawn.  Mick had noticed mushrooms up the hill on his walk, while I was at work, so we took a paper bag along with us.



Not only were there mushrooms, there were quite a few toadstools.  They were perfectly formed.  This one was about six inches high.


Mick and I both grew up foraging for mushrooms when they were around.  That was the only time we ever got to eat them, so always a real treat. When I was in primary school they used to grow on our school oval.  I must have been odd, because I would take my lunch box and go around picking them, trying to get there before the boys would come along and kick them to pieces.

When we were first married, there was a paddock behind where Mick's Dad lived that was a great place to find them.  We loved going and collecting them.  It isn't something we get to do much now, so was a rather nice thing to do on our walk.


We came home with a bag full of mushrooms, which we enjoyed on toast for breakfast today.  They have a distinct taste of their own.  Don't you love the pattern left on the chopping board from the mushroom found on our lawn.


It was quite breezy on our walk.  Mick compared it to a day on the Isle of Man, as it is nearly always windy there.


I noticed a recipe in the latest free Coles magazine for a dish including eggplant.  I didn't have lamb mince, but I did have beef mince, so made it for dinner last night.  Very nice.  Definitely a keeper.  In future though, I'd keep the pasta out of the main dish, to reduce bulk for freezing the extra mince mixture and just add the pasta when serving.

I'm rather surprised at me trying two new recipes in one day.  No cooking today, as we can just enjoy yesterday's efforts.

I printed out the Love & Hugs from Australia pattern for the day, but still haven't made a start.

As you can see, very little sewing, but we seemed to do quite a bit, without anything being rushed.  A nice way to spend the day.

9 comments:

loulee said...

You're having a busy time of it. We have musheys growing here too. Not sure I'd want to eat these ones though! LOL

Jenny said...

Lovely photos J and I love the little applique. Wow the garden is looking amazing.

Maria said...

You're both keeping very busy .
A little stitching is better than none. 👍🏼
Wish we had some rain here , all is still very dry.
What a great veggie garden and you are also getting some pretty flowers blooming now..
Both your new recipes turned out delicious looking...
A great Muskie that grow in your front yard...

Cheryll said...

Your garden looks wonderful... full of lovely fresh vegies.
I know there are a lot of different mushrooms apart from the dangerous ones.
Keep on picking the gOOd ones...lol
Keep safe...xox

Jenny said...

Busy productive times for you both. The baking looks delicious I can almost smell it from over here!

kiwikid said...

Great post Janice, your garden is looking wonderful, is good you have had so much rain. Lovely to see the flowers in your garden too. We get mushrooms coming up in the garden here, but I don't know if they are safe to eat. That slice is wonderful isn't it, I put half in the freezer thinking I would be slow to eat it, but hubby is enjoying it too so guess what is back out of the freezer!!! A little stitching is better than none. Love your Indigo plant and those blue flowers are very pretty.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Lovely work and your garden looks wonderful. That slice looks delicious. I missed FNWF:(

Fiona said...

your garden is looking just lovely.... I like looking through the recipe magazines too....
Hugz

Raewyn said...

Your mini quilt is lovely - hope you sort the leaf issue but I probably wouldn't really have noticed it very much if you hadn't commented on it :-) I love that photo of the mushroom on the chopping board! Your garden is looking so lush and productive and it's so nice to see so much green.