Wednesday 27 January 2016

The Modern HST Sampler

A couple of facts:

1.   I've always been a bit nervous working with half square triangles.  They never seem to be the right size, despite making sure the seam allowance is correctly adjusted on my machine.

2.   I have a little pile of blue and white fabric that I want to make some sort of sampler quilt out of.  There is plenty of fabric, but a limited variety, as it came from just one range on clearance.




This Quilt Along is free to joint at any time.  There are 24 blocks, finishing at 12 inches square, which will be shared over the course of the year.  Alyce is sharing various methods of piecing, which will be good to try.

This sounded ideal for me.  My colours aren't modern, but that won't matter.  It sounds like the blocks will be fine in blue and white.

I pulled some extra fat quarters and less from the stash to come up with this selection.


The first block was released a couple of weeks ago, so I jumped in with both feet.  Quite simple, so a good one to start with.  The blocks are so much easier to get accurate when you make the fabric 1" larger than the finished block and trimming back, rather than the usual 7/8".

The traditional Shoo Fly block has been renamed "Candy".


The second block was only released a couple of days ago.  Another simple looking block, this time using a different technique.

The traditional Friendship Star has been renamed "Ninja".


Now I have to wait a couple of weeks for the next block.  I wonder what it will be like?

By the way, the seam ripper has already been out to get the points to meet.  Not to worry.

I am linking up with Alyce at Sew Cute Tuesday and Cath at Design Board Monday.

5 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Very pretty ... Have fun xxxx

Unknown said...

Your first two blocks look great!

Cath said...

Hi Janice...I just love those blues you are using and what a great selection you have collected there. thanks for linking up with Design Board Monday at Bits 'n Bobs....ps. I added a pic to your link but if you want me to delete and you link it again....just let me know.

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

I love the idea of a blue and white quilt!

Fiona said...

those are such pretty blocks..
Hugz