Friday 26 April 2024

Scrub Stitchin’ - Swaps and Shopping

 An integral part of the retreat is the “Make it or fake it” swap.  It is such fun on the Saturday night seeing what everyone has gifted and received.

I had fun this year making a little sewing pouch with bits and bobs inside. It was all inspired by the random cute strawberry fat quarter I recently found.  The pouch is a combination of a couple of patterns from Anni Downs.  

I found the perfect coloured vintage ric rac in my stash.

It was a bit of a challenge to add the ric rac around the label, as I was using machine buttonhole, but we got there in the end, with lots of pins.

Betty of Rainbow Connections Quilter was the recipient of this little collection.

The gift I received was a fat quarter bundle of rustic, country style fabrics.  They will work well to make a blokey quilt.  This gift came from Sue.

Now to the shopping…… there always has to be a little retail therapy.

The only shopping plan I had was to buy the jelly roll ruler for the braided quilt that many would make during the retreat and to get one more batik fabric to add to the fish quilt I am making.  

I didn’t make the braided quilt on the weekend, but I have pulled out a junior jellyroll and coordinating fabrics to make a cot quilt at some stage.  Another one for the list……

Our first stop on the way up was Crafters Cottage in Coonabarabran.  As we had taken longer to get up there than planned, and we were to be giving Chooky a hand to set things up, I only called in very briefly, but did come out with a suitable grubby brown batik.  The best bit was that I ran into Jenny of Bird on the Border while there.

The other purchases were all made from the pop up shop that Deb from Crafters Cottage set up at Scrub Stitchin’.  Having that shop on site is such a bonus for us, and I’m also guessing for Deb.  Win, win.

I even brought home a gift for Monique.  I was delighted to see that there were bobbin cases to hold “M” sized bobbins, which are what Monique uses.  My bobbins were just thrown in a small tub beforehand.  This is so much better, and something I had been on the lookout for.

Pins with caravans on them are not something that was on my shopping list, but how could I resist?

Also, I didn’t NEED any more fat quarters, but when I saw that she had the same Tilda fabric that was used in our bag that we made from last year’s retreat I bought some more with a matching project in mind……..now I just have to make it.

The other fat quarters are just ones that I know will be incorporated in something.  You can never have too many low volumes for a scrappy background, which I always prefer to just a single fabric.

4 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

all looks pretty good to me Janice........and I had to have some bird pins.......

Susan Smith said...

Your handmade gift will be a bonus for the recipient. Lovely. Ooh....the caravan pins are definitely different. Look forward to seeing the braid quilt come together. Take care & hugs.

loulee said...

You got some very useful items in your wee haul and a great swap gift too. Hmm, I may need to look out for one of those rulers.

Susan said...

Love the gift you made...would have been perfect for me ...LOL

I hadn't thought of a braid quilt for a child....but why not...good idea...could be an interesting I Spy too