My goal for the month of February was to complete the Blockheads 3 quilt top, now that the last block pattern has been released.
Here are the final five blocks ready to add to the quilt.
I took a photo of each quadrant of blocks as I finished making them and used those photos to make a mock up of the quilt.
My plan was always to stitch the blocks in a fairly random order within each quarter with no sashings. However, looking at this, I realised it was going to be way too busy, so decided to add some one inch sashings.
On Saturday I spent all morning fiddle faddling with layouts on my "design floor", but I was not having any joy. In the end I separated the blocks into four quadrants again and added two vertical sashings and two horizontal sashings and a few random grey cornerstones to each quadrant, while still keeping the layout rather random. I then just added a simple white border. It seemed to work and calmed the quilt down a bit.
That looks much better. I have the binding all prepared as well. It took the best part of two days to get to this point. Much longer than expected. It finishes at 74 inches square.
Now I just have to wait for my quilting fairy to return from her holiday later this week and I will be able to deliver two quilts for her to work her magic on.
I will be linking up with Elm Street Quilts at the end of the month.