Sunday 1 November 2020

My Other October Goals

As well as my stitching goals, each month I set some other goals of fun things to do.  If you pop back here you can see what they were for October.

Let's see how we went with them.

1.    READ A BOOK


As the month was marching on and I hadn't completed my stitching goals I settled on reading another of the vintage Maigret books.  These are a quick little read, if somewhat predictable and dated.  I just have one more to go.

2.    TRY A NEW RECIPE.

I suppose I met this goal, in a fashion.


On the long weekend I decided to make a tart for lunch.  I called it "What You've Got Tart".  I just added all sorts of veges and herbs to the egg custard, along with fetta, parmesan and cheddar cheeses and baked it in a new to us enamel pie dish.  It was a whole $1 at the op shop.  The thin enamel dish makes a nice crisp crust compared to earthenware or pyrex.  It was a success.


One day I had a spur of the moment idea to make some scones for afternoon tea.  I was going to use up some cream in the fridge, but had no lemonade.  However, we did have some soda water.  I figured the lemonade is mainly for the fizz and we don't need any sweetener in scones, so soda water it was.  They turned out just fine and didn't last very long. I'll keep that in mind for future use.


We had some friends over for a barbie and I had seen this salad in the free magazine that the supermarket puts out.  It turned out rather well.  I think that one will be saved.


Finally, there was the Hummingbird Cake I made for Mum's birthday.  I have made this cake once before, but have never eaten it.  The story goes that many years ago I made this cake, iced it and it looked delicious.  I had it sitting on the kitchen table and left the room for a little while.  When I returned there were two cats - Joey and his brother Felix - sitting on the kitchen table, having licked off nearly all of the cream cheese frosting.  I was devastated.  They weren't much more than kittens at the time and they never got on the table before or after that one time.  Needless to say, we didn't get to eat the cake.  Our chooks did enjoy it and made short work of it.

This time Joey came nowhere near the cake and it was our turn to enjoy it.  It was soooo good.  I will be making it again before too long. 

3.    GO FOR A MOTORCYCLE RIDE
   
I was sure this was going to happen this month, as our local motorcycle club was holding their vintage rally and we had put our hands up to help.  Sadly, the weather gods had other ideas and the day was forecast to be quite wet, so the event was postponed.  It was the right call, as yes, it was quite wet.  Therefore no ride on that day.

4.    GO FOR A WEEKEND AWAY.

I was sure this was going to happen as well, as the same motorcycle club was having an overnight ride this very weekend to the Albert Hotel.  That was going to be the second motorcycle ride this month.  The weather gods have once again put an end to that idea.  Not to worry, we have done plenty of other things to make up for it.

5.    HAVE A FRIDAY FUN DAY.    

YES!  That definitely happened.  I blogged about it back here


We had a lovely day exploring the Old Lachlan Road and Carcoar.

6.    GO FOR WALKS

Sadly, this hasn't been happening.  Lots of excuses, some valid, like the weather and working, others not.   I really do need to lift my game on this.

EXTRAS

In addition to the above, we had a lovely day out with my friend Lisa visiting some open gardens and have done quite a bit of work in our garden, as well have having friends and family visiting.  I'l share more soon.

Therefore, even though not all the goals I listed were met, we still had a great month.

Now to look forward to November.  

8 comments:

Flickenstichlerin said...

Great cooking Janice, well the weather will get better for the motorcyle actions.

dq said...

Having read over your blog this month, you have definitely kept to your goals!

Maria said...

You have achieved many of your goals and hopefully go for a ride and a walk this month.

Gail said...

Yummy looking food! I need to try scones. Meeting any goals is a good month, so congrats!

kiwikid said...

Your cooking looks amazing Janice, good the cat didn't get to the cake this time😀 I am sure once the weather settles you will be able to fo on many bike rides and adventures.

ButterZ said...

Your blog is a great journal for you. My mum always made those scones with soda water as she thought the lemonade made them too sweet.

loulee said...

Busy as always.
I had to laugh at your story about Joey and pal helping themselves....
I've never made scones with lemonade or soda water, I usually use egg and milk for the liquid content, as that is the way my Gran taught me.

Jenny said...

Hope you an your mum had a lovely day.