Friday 13 March 2020

Another Fun Friday

We are quite enjoying our Fridays.  However, this time we weren't out and about, rather we stayed mainly at home.

Being autumn, it is the best time to be making preserves.  We don't have many tomatoes this year, but one of my friends does.  We did a deal.  She provided the tomatoes, I made the Tomato Relish and we shared the finished product.  Win, win!  The recipe we use was given to Mum by the wife of one of my cousins many years ago.  I believe it can be found in CWA cookbooks.


We cut up the tomatoes and onions yesterday and left to soak overnight in brine.


Today, of course, we had to get Mum involved.  It wouldn't be the same without her assistance and supervision, although there is more supervising than actual cooking these days, but it is still nice to have her here.


The making of preserves is a real family affair. Mick is chief washer upper, as well as helping with chopping, stirring and bottling.


We ended up with a nice little supply of Tomato Relish.  I had fun making all different hand written labels. (ie I was too lazy to work out label setting on the printer.)

While we were in the preserving mood, we also made some Plum Chutney.  This is a recipe we haven't made for probably twenty years, or more.  It worked out well, as we now have Mum's preserving pan over here as well as ours.  We might as well have two lots going at the same time.


Another nice little supply for future use.


While I was in the kitchen I also got around to making Pineapple Roughs for Mick.  These are his favourite biscuits.  I have no idea where I originally got the recipe.  I was unsure if I was going to get to make them, as there was no Australian crushed pineapple in my usual supermarket.  Fortunately, the other one had supplies.


If anyone is interested, here is the recipe.  Just make sure you drain the pineapple really well.  I also just melt the butter and mix everything in the saucepan.  Much easier, and they still work out fine.

I have done some stitching, but I will share that another time.

7 comments:

loulee said...

Well that all sounds yummy.

Jenny said...

A very productive day, inalways like the look of freshly made preserves in their glass jars. It all looks rather yummy!

Cheryll said...

I can almost smell that delicious relish down here... yumm xox

Karen's Korner said...

Good team work all round with the relish and chutney.

Maria said...

A productive family day and the cookies sound yummy !!

Raewyn said...

A lovely family day - so nice that your mum is still involved - and such a great pile of preserves. I'm intrigued by the pineapple roughs/scones(?) so thanks for sharing the recipe - I'll have to give it a try.

kiwikid said...

Wonderful you all work in the kitchen together, so good your Mum can be involved too. I like your hand written labels much better than the computer printed ones. Nothing better the home made preserves. The biscuits sound great. I haven't noticed crushed pineapple in the supermarket for ages.