Wednesday 20 March 2019

Splendid Sampler 2 Blocks for This Week

I managed to finish two blocks this week and have the other two nominated blocks prepped to applique on our retreat in a few weeks time.


"Happy Willow" was the first block I completed.  I tell you what, I was a very happy chappy when I got it finished, as it was rather fiddly.  Who would expect to spend two hours on a block six and a half inches square!  Yes, I still have to think carefully when doing foundation paper piecing and it was a tad fiddly to line up points.  Anyway, the effort was well worth it.  I'm glad I persevered, and it has certainly helped extend my piecing skills.


The second block was "Grandma's Abiding Faith".  I thought of my Grandma "Mabel" as I pieced this one.  Her faith was very important to her and I have a patchwork "Wagga" quilt that she made for my Mum in the early 1950s.

I stuck pretty much to the colours in the book for this one, as they work so well.  This block was also a tad fiddly, but it came together nicely, so didn't take nearly as long as the previous one.

I did have a little trouble trimming down the hour glass blocks with their thick seams, so decided that it may be time to change my rotary cutter blade, as it was getting a little dull.  Wow!  What a difference a sharp blade makes.  I didn't realise how blunt my old one was.  The new blade cut the thick seams like butter, no pulling on the corners like before.


I don't know if I've shared this before, but this is one of my favourite tools in my sewing room. Yes, it is just a good old Keen's Curry tin.


They are the very best for disposing of your old needles and pins.  Best of all, the wide opening designed for a spoon is perfect for popping old rotary cutter blades through.  One tin lasts me for years.

Now to see what blocks we will work on next week.

I'm linking up at The Splendid Sampler, so go and see what the other ladies have made.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Your happy willow block looks very effective J. Great idea with the curry tin.
I use a Berocca cylinder for my old needles and pins and sometimes for bobbins.

Fiona said...

lovely blocks.... foundation piecing takes me a very long time too.... haha, amazing the difference with a new blade... I always kick myself why I hadn't changed mine sooner. Great tin for the blades.
Hugz

Maria said...

both blocks are lovely ..
the curry tin is perfect for your Sharps....

loulee said...

Lovely blocks.
I use an old spice jar for old needles and pins, my old blades go into an envelope and its folded around d them. Might look for something else though.