Wednesday 6 February 2019

Splendid Sampler 2 Blocks and One Monthly Goal for February

I've been able to make two Splendid Sampler 2 blocks this week, but maybe you could say I made three, as one had to be redone.


Seeing as "Match Point" was a nice, quick block to make, I decided I could do it before work this morning.  All was going well until I went to press the final seams and the points along the diagonal seam were all over the shop, so it was abandoned until this evening.  If I had read the pattern and pressed the initial half square triangle seam to one side, rather than pressing it open like I normally do all would have been well.  Not to worry, a little reverse stitching and the problem was easily fixed.  Then I went back to pressing those final seams......only to find that I had somehow or other - let's call it "More Haste Less Speed" - switched a couple of the rows around the wrong way and the wide middle strip was actually to one side.  It was at that stage I abandoned the block and I was thankful that there was still the other half of the original half square triangle sitting there and I started over a fresh.


Now, doesn't that look better.


I also completed "Snail and Pail".  That went much smoother.

I'm going to link up at The Splendid Sampler.



Next, I thought I'd better work out my One Monthly Goal for February.  Considering we are already well into the month my original thought for a goal has been shelved.  I'd rather have a goal that I can actually meet.


My goal for this month is now to make a table runner from these fabrics.  

I made some place mats and coasters for our outdoor setting using these fabrics a couple of years ago, but have never got around to making the runner to match.  I initially couldn't decide on a pattern, but I even worked that out some time ago, so there is no excuse for not getting it done.......at last.

In the background I want to make my three Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks in yellow and to make at least one Splendid Sampler 2 block each week.

I'm linking up over at Elm Street Quilts.

Also, I'm super excited that I was one of the lucky winners in the draw at the end of January in One Monthly Goal and a "Mr Domestic" box of Aurifil threads will be winging its way from Italy to my house.  I'll show you once it arrives.

Now, I'd better get stitching

8 comments:

Maria said...

Pleased you could redo the block and the snail and pail block is cute.
Congrates on your win, Aurifil is beautiful thread to use.
Look forward to seeing the completed table runner.

Bonnie said...

What a great win! Though the public commitment to meet our goal is enough for me to get one done what a great bonus to win a prize! I sure feel your pain about the trouble block. But your snail and pail block is fabulous. Good luck with the table runner.

Barbara said...

That snail block is utterly adorable! I'm still new enough to quilting that the accuracy of the seam intersections in your first block is impressive. Beautiful work!

Patty said...

Cute fabric ! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

Fiona said...

well done for persevering and getting the block right... it looks good! lovely to get a win as a bonus for your keeping up.... I used it a lot in my quilting...Hugz

loulee said...

Love your snail and pail. He is so cute.

Rebecca Grace said...

Congratulations, you lucky winner, you!! Your pieced block looks great. We all have those days where everything needs to be a do-over. They ought to have a special Quilter's Horoscope section of the paper where you can read things like "today is a good day to attempt Y-seams" or "Mercury is in retrograde. Don't go anywhere near a sewing machine until mid-week!" Also your appliqué block with the watering can looks fantastic! Is that a machine embroidery appliqué design, regular machine appliqué, or handwork? It's so beautifully done!

Pink Rose said...

Hi Janice beautiful blocks my friend and well done on your lovely win,I have been without the Internet,it's good to have it back xx