Sunday 7 January 2018

My Sewing Plans for 2018

This year I would love to be more productive in the sewing room, as last year I achieved very little.

Firstly, I need to sort out and organise the room.  That is a major job in itself.  There is so much of my stuff in there, and quite a bit of Mum's stuff was added as well.  I will try to do it a bit at a time and make sure I put things away and tidy up at the end of each sewing session, rather than having it pile up on the table.


I've made a  list of most of my UFOs. Some of them are very old.  There are a few more, but I'm not even going to think about them, as they are buried deep and I know there is no way I would get them all done.  I've listed them in a very loose order of priority, but that is by no means set in stone.  I've also listed how long I think they will take to complete.  Those times are very achievable and the projects generally shouldn't take anything like that long.  What I have noticed is that they nearly all need some hand stitching.  I think there may be a strong underlying theme here.  It is the hand stitching that is turning them into a UFO.  I'll have to try and do a little each day. 


To help me work through this list I have decided to join in the One Monthly Goal challenge hosted by Elm Street Quilts.  The goal doesn't have to be large, so hopefully it will be something I can achieve.


For January I have decided that my goal will be to finish the Sewing Box made from a steamer basket that I started at Nundle in March 2017.  It won't take long at all.  I just have to attach the pincushion to the underside of the lid, glue the stitching and trim to the top of the lid and make the needle keep.  Quite achievable.  

I'd like to finish my blue and white sampler quilt, but that is very dependent upon when the quilting is finished, so I won't include that this time.


At the other extreme, I have been tempted with a new project - the Rainbow Scrap Challenge - after watching it for a couple of years.  


My initial plan was to make log cabin blocks, but the girls are hosting a sampler quilt along, so I have decided that I may as well do that instead.  They nominate a colour each month.  This month is light blue.  Funnily enough, I have all the leftovers from a certain blue and white sampler quilt nice and handy, so that will an easy one to start with. The idea is that you make three blocks each month to end up with a medium sized quilt.  I will make mine 10 inches square.  Nice easy maths.

I do hope to use only my stash during the year, and not impulse buy.  Fabric required for a specific project is allowed. Believe me, there will still be oodles for me to work on, if I so desire.

I think that I may reward myself when a major finish is achieved, or several smaller finishes (no, that doesn't mean more fabric).  There needs to be some incentive, other than the wonderful feeling when something is completed. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Janice good luck with your goals i will look forward to seeing your finishes,great idea xx

Chookyblue...... said...

go girl...........your looking very organised........

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I know you can do it❤️❤️❤️

Marly said...

Good luck with your goals: the pincushion is going to be lovely, and oh so useful!

Bonnie said...

That is a very cute sewing basket. Good luck finishing it up. I'm going to check out the sew along although I just barely made it through the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this year.

Patty said...

Very pretty! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project!

Laura said...

I often get stuck at hand stitching, too. Or when I've made a mistake/dislike what's going on and don't quite know how to turn it around! Good luck achieving your goals this year and this month. That basket is very cute!

Tracy said...

I think I get stuck sometimes on those workshop projects because I didn't choose them so they aren't necessarily something I want to make.
I look forward to seeing all those finishes.

Fiona said...

I do love to make a list of my UFO's at the beginning of the year...even if it's just reminding me of certain projects!
Love the little steam basket project....
Hugz