Another of my work mates is headed overseas. This is her first trip out of the country and she has a brand spanking new passport. I thought this would be just the ticket for her.
It was a nice and easy pattern I found on A Spoonful of Sugar. I’ve had the fabrics for a while, just waiting for the right project.
I used plastic on a roll bought at Spotlight for the pocket on the inside. It was a little testing for me, as it tended to stick together. Therefore, it also stuck to the bed of my machine and the foot, so wouldn’t feed through.
To sew the binding on I had to lay a piece of fabric under the plastic so that it would feed through. The pattern says to baste the plastic to the lining fabric before sewing, but there was no way I could do that, but then it didn’t want to move, so it wasn’t a problem. The next challenge was the stitching down the centre of the plastic to make the two pockets. In the end I used my teflon coated foot from my little Elna Stella machine. Luckily I had one, as I don’t know how I would have proceeded without it. I was supposed to top stitch around the edges, but that just wasn’t going to work and I think it looks fine without it.
If I made another one of these (and I think I will, as I want one for my passport) I will use a different plastic. I’m thinking the plastic from a heavier duty sleeve for a 2-ring binder might work well, as it is more slippery. With the right plastic it would take no time at all to make.
Anyway, it was well received and I hope it gets lots of use over the coming years.