Wednesday 14 January 2009

Thrifiting Again

I called in at an op shop yesterday (as you do) and came out with this little haul. I was most excited when I found the little house Christmas decoration. It matches another one I found at a church white elephant stall a couple of years ago.... and it was for the right price too..... "Oh, you can have that one, it's not worth anything".
The sweet little stoneware bowl will only hold about a cup - I've never come across one so small. It was a whole 50c.
The books are fascinating. "Standard Craft Ideas for Girls" was published in 1959 and has lots of sock toys and "kitch" is the only way to describe lots of the other projects. The children's sewing book is just giving tips and techniques, there are no patterns, but will be handy to have on the book shelf. The bottom three are just for fun. The centre book "Ribbon Straw" was published in 1967. I wonder how many things made in that style still remain. The other 2 are Japanese (but in English) and are for the plastic canvas that was so popular in the early 70's. If I went looking, I would be able to find the tissue box cover I made when I was about 8 using this technique.
Then, when we went to the Car Club meeting last night, one of the fellows gave me this. It was lovely of him to think of me. Now this is a UFO that has been around for a while. It was in a deceased estate he has been going through. There is a "Woman's Day" magazine from 1980 with a crocheted bedspread pattern, four completed blocks and 33 balls of Patons Gem 4-ply cotton to complete it. It is a lovely sage green. I don't know if I would want that colour for a bedspread, but it would be nice as a throw rug. I'll have a look at how involved the pattern is....one day..... I don't think it will get finished for the challenge this year. There was also another vintage crochet pattern book to add to the collection.



3 comments:

loulee said...

Wow!! I usually just make a beeline for bedlinen and clothes, stuff i can wear or chop up!! I'll try the book section in future.

Sandi said...

Great finds, you never know what you may find in an op shop.

Susan In Texas said...

I just *love* the color of that yarn. It's so delicate!

Susan in Texas
http://www.susanintexas.blogspot.com