Sunday 11 January 2009

A Busy Weekend

We've had a great weekend. Mick has been wanting to go for a ride on the bike as we haven't been on it since the beginning of November. We decided to go to the "Bronze Thong" bush races at Wattle Flat. We've heard they are good, but have never been before. There were some stalls, but nothing grabbed my attention (or money). There was the good old wood chop, and what better setting than in the bush.
This was then followed by the foot races - very comical. There were sprints (if you could call it that), piggy back races, wheelbarrow races, backwards races. All very good for a laugh. No, I did not have a go!

Then there were the horse races. As you can see, it is a really rough bush racetrack, but they gave it their all.

It was a nice day, not too hot, pleasant breeze, not too dusty. We had a nice picnic salad (we picked at it with our fingers as yours truly forgot the cutlery - but not the hand wipes) and then it was just nice to sit in the dappled shade (with the eyes shut).


We didn't stay for the end of the races, but went up some very narrow, rough, stoney, corrugated roads/tracks and ended up in Sofala for a milkshake. Then we high tailed it home as we could see storms brewing. We got home and the washing in just before a downpour with a bit of small hail. Good timing.
Also, I tried out my new summer bike jacket and it is perfect.

Yesterday our patchwork group started back after Christmas. It was nice to catch up with the girls after the break. While I was there I did the hand sewing on Red Delicious, so now Blocks 1 and 2 are completely finished. Bring on the 15th.
I then started the embroidery on May Britt's Christmas Heart. I don't know what I'll do with it, but at least it is started.
When I was finishing off all the ends on Red Delicious I was quite taken with the back of the blocks, with the outline in blanket stitch. It would look lovely in redwork.




The finished blocks don't look much different to my previous post, but here they are anyway.





Yesterday afternoon I finally treated myself to a friand baking tin and had my first go at making raspberry friands. I was very happy with the result. Now I have a good use of the eggwhites when I make lemon butter.












3 comments:

loulee said...

Looks like a fun day out.
I considered doing red delicious in redwork, but as I have stitcheries on to go too, I settled for applique. Then discovered that I have no bond a web! LOL
Yours is looking great.

Quilter Going Bananas said...

I am blown away at how nice your work is, front and back on your RD blocks! I'm about to start them but I can't decide if I want to do applique or blanket stitch like you've done.

Unknown said...

Your Red Delicious looks Lovely...
cheers